Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new cabinet saw & am looking to buy a stacked dado set. I have no experience with these, though I am familiar with the basic concepts involved. I'd love to hear comments/recommendations from experienced users about selecting a dado set, and especially specific model recommendations. What do you use?

Thanks!

Dan

·
Registered
419 Posts
Just a few basics on dado blades in general

because I am not personally locked into any specific brand. Rule #1, no wobble blades. Stay clear of the boomarang blades if your wallet will allow. I prefer any set that utilizes full plate chippers with 5 CARBIDE teeth. You will normally get the two outside blades, four 1/8" chippers, one 3/32" chipper and one 1/16" chipper as well as a collection of brass shims. You can expect to pay up to $100.00 for a good, no name carbide set. Of course if you have excess loot laying about, why not go with the Freud with the dial a setting shim system. I drool on the page each time I see this but meanwhile, my $87.00 Avenger set keeps making me money.

Ed

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Freud SD208 gets consistant high marks in the $100 range. I am fortunate that LOML got me the Freud dial a width for Christmas,does a fantastic job. I also have a HF dado set I bought on sale for$19.00 to cut some half lap joints in pressure treated wood,I was pleasantly surprised with the HF set, did a decent job. Since you have a cabinet saw I would go with 8" set. You may not need the depth capability that often but its there when you need it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
hi every one, i would like to know because im not so smart:icon_sad: if you measure a blade tooth at one end and the other end and it measure`s 10" THEN DOES THAT MEAN IT`S A 10" SAW?????
THANKS, JEMMY.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have two dado blades...the dial a width type and the stacked dado set...and I have used both but am not very impressed with either..although the stacked set ran me a pretty penny...I prefer to use my Router and cut so precisely and cleanly, far better than any blade that I've seen....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have two dado blades...the dial a width type and the stacked dado set...and I have used both but am not very impressed with either..although the stacked set ran me a pretty penny...I prefer to use my Router and cut so precisely and cleanly, far better than any blade that I've seen....
Jorge-A I have a Hitachi MV12 plunge router. A router table & other accessories are also on my wish list!

Dan

·
Registered
49 Posts
Once you use a router for any serious projects you will come to rely upon the rascals...I have a 15amp 3.5hp Makita in a table mount; then a Porter Cable 11amp and a Bosch 11amp router...the PC is a D Handle and I like that the best...then I just acquired another Bosch a 12amp
plunge with an alternate fixed base...and also got a D Handle...so the older Bosch is going to get converted to a D Handle...when working on projects its nice to get set up and change routers when you change bits and leave the settings alone once you are satisfied they are cutting the way you intend...so for me, 4 routers is the new minimum...
Blessings....oh, and will probably get the Festool Domino mortise/tenon machine....for face framses...then no more...well, for awhile...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FOUR routers! After 2 grand on a tablesaw, I think my wife would kill me if I bought 3 more routers! :smile: My short wish list is a dado blade, a tenoning jig & a router table, once I figure out which one of each (already pretty sure on the dado set, thanks to help here :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts