Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awhile back, I made a pen for an exchange at another site. I also entered the same pen in Capt Eddies pen challenge and somehow got second place! Anyhow, I was asked to post a tutorial on how I made the blank. It took me forever to upload the pics and type up the tutorial and honestly, I just dont feel like doing it again. I read through the TOS and didnt see anything anywhere that says I cant post a link to another site so if youd like to see the tutorial, click here.... http://woodbarter.com/showthread.php?tid=8305 Mods, if this is in violation of any rules, feel free to delete it but also point me to where it says so because I couldnt find it. Hope you all like it and I hope it pushes you to to try new things!!:thumbsup:

Attachments

Reactions: rrbrown

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Bass,
Very interesting! I would be interested in seeing the final drilling and anything pencil on the turning of your blank.
Tom

·
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That will all be posted in the same thread when I get to that point.:thumbsup:

·
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It turns easily. I round my blank with a spindle gouge, then do the rest of my turning with a RusDemka carbide tool. It works well. You have to take light cuts for a couple of reasons. One, if you take to big of a bite, the aluminum will catch and it will rip off of the wood pretty easy and two, the wood is obviously softer than the aluminum so if your not careful, the wood between the aluminum turns down farther and you wind up with a bumpy blank if that makes any since. Also, because of the way the blank is assembled, your turning end grain so when I get close, Ill soak with thin CA to harden everything up. That helps to get a clean cut without tearout and leaves a nice smooth finish. The smooth finish is critical because we wont be sanding this blank. I havnt figured out how to sand it or polish it without destroying the lighter wood. Aluminum dust reaks havic on light colored wood.:thumbsup:

Reactions: robert421960

·
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a heads up for anyone following this build, I finished it up today. Thanks for looking! :thumbsup:

Reactions: Alchymist
1 - 8 of 8 Posts