Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an idea for a project that is like a segmented bowl. What I need to figure out are the angles that are needed. Example: If I want to have a eight picture sided frame my angle is 20 Degrees. If I want to have an 8 sided bowl you need the taper and side angles that will be determined by the length of the side. I have figured out a jig for this and could keep changing the angle of the table saw blade until I get one that fits but it would be nice to have a formula to calculate the side angles based on the number of wedges and the length of the wedge. That would save a lot of wood and I would be able to change the size of the bowl.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Help me understand. You want to make a picture frame out of the equivalent of segmented bowl rings?

They're actually pretty simple to make.

If you search google for a segmented bowl ring calculator, I think, a picture should come up that is a simple chart that let's you pick the diameter of the ring you want, and how many segments in the ring.

Then you just follow it over and it will tell you how long to cut eat piece.

·
Registered
187 Posts
computing angles

Don't know where you came up with 20 degrees for an octagon, an octagon is 22.5 degrees. All you do to figure out the angle of your saw cut is divide the number of sides into 180; i.e. 180 / 8 = 22.5 degrees. If you want 12 sides, 180 / 12 =15 degrees, etc. The real secret is to set the saw angle exactly and set the lengths of wood exactly. Any number of miter saw guides/stops or a table saw sled with stops will work, but they must be cut exactly or it will not work well.

Best of luck,

Bandman

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will check the calculator but I am not thinking flat. I have no Problem with a flat multi sided object. Take the flat object and make into a pyramid. It can be 4 sides 8 sides etc. I am trying to make a bowl without a lathe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.