Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive seen some really amazing segmented bowls around but i have never found a good how to. The one i tried was uneven. I can calculate the angles but i have not figured out how to keep them flat. any suggestions?

·
Registered
680 Posts
I am just getting started myself with segmented turning,but everything I have read says you need a drum sander or planer to get the rings flat after glue up. This allows the rings to sit flat on the others. The link that woodsman gave is a good one. Also if you google segmented turning there are some good ones. You just have to start reading and find what you are looking for.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I learned to make segmented rings the old way. When gluing them up use a flat board that is coated with Paste wax or even wax paper. When you clamp the ring tap all the segments with a mallet to get them flat onto the paper.
The bottom side will then be pretty much flat if not perfect. Then I would glue this ring to the rings or bottom already trued up on the lathe and flatten this side with a flat scraper taking light cuts. You can also use a flat board with sandpaper glued to it while the lathe is spinning. Check it frequently with a straight edge.
You can also flatten the sides by using piece of sandpaper glued to a flat board. Do it just like you would if you hand planed it. put pencil lines on the piece and sand lightly in all directions until you see where the high points are. Keep sanding until all the low points dissappear. You'll be surprised how fast this goes. I've don't this with extremely thin sections.
If your really interested in segmented turning get Malcolm Tibbet's book, the art of segmented turning. It is the best book out there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts