Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of buying a lazy boy type chair are there any comfortable wooden chairs?
I was thinking at the least I could make an adorondak chair out of pine or other cheap wood, tweek and refine it for a while, then copy it in a nicer wood.
Prost
Ben

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
Go to google images and look up Morris chair. I always thought they were comfortable. The back is hinged at the bottom and you can adjust the angle of the back by setting a small board in knotches in the arms.

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
I do not think that there is any way that you can make a wooden chair even approach being as comfortable as a padded chair. Two entirely different concepts.

George

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
My parents have a wooden rocker that I found more comfortable than most couches, so I'd say it's possible. For me, the comfort of that chair was all about proportions: the seat and arms were at exactly the right height, and the back was also perfectly shaped. Sadly, I don't have plans or even photos of it available, or I'd share them.

In general, most people don't like chairs that aren't padded for sitting in for a long time, but a Morris chair, like Steve Neul suggested, is well padded and somewhat adjustable.

·
Registered
470 Posts
A major hurdle in design for comfort is being able to strike an average for the average person. There is so much difference in Femur and Tibia length between people 5-6" and 6-6" the seat length front to back and seat height becomes an important design issue for comfort. Kids don't count being they aren't in one place long enough to consider.:laughing: This may have been a major factor in the development of the recliner and Chaise Lounge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts