Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking to replace our traditional overhead garage doors with a carriage style swing garage doors. It is too expensive to buy them from a door manufacture since they are all custom made so I'm researching my options. I am pretty sure this design should work but want you opinions/suggestions. I'd hate to build this thing and a few months later, the thing sag or warp.

Check out the design below. My thought is to use a sheet of good cabinet grade plywood as a base. That way there will not be any issues of the joints sagging from poor joint construction. I'd then overlay 1x material to replicate the pattern below. I've sourced heavy duty hinges and I should be able to size them based on the weight of the door.

·
Registered
72 Posts
you could do it like a cabinet door use 2x6 for styles and rails and then on the plywood use a router with a point bit and cut shallow v grooves. this would cut down on weight and still give the look of your design.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I couldn't open your link but the subject is interesting to me. I've been thinking about replacing my garage doors with "home made" ones. I keep thinking weight should be a major design factor even if you have an automatic door opener, or maybe especially if you have one, I do. I have two doors to do, one single and one double. My thinking is that I'll use cedar because it's light and weathers well ( 4/4 rails and styles and re-sawn panels perhaps ship lapped). I'm thinking I'll leave it rough sawn and treated with tinted Penofin (or some other oil) then just let it age to a nice grey. I'm not going to paint it or anything else out doors unless I must. At my age I'm on a campaign to seriously reduce property maintenance. Any of you out there ever build any? Advice? Pics?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts