Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! I'm in the process of moving my kitchen island from my shop to the house finally. My question is, should I secure to the floor? My kitchen floor is tile. Was thinking maybe I could get away without securing it. If I should secure the kitchen island, what would the best way to go about it?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,811 Posts
I have made two kitchen islands the past few years that sat on the tiled floor.
they were so heavy, I saw no reason to anchor them in place.
I say just sit it where you want it - if in the future you feel it needs bracing, you could "glue" some blocks to the tile under the island frame to keep it in place. that way, if you ever decide to move it, you can "unglue" the blocks and not have holes in your tiles that would require replacement - IF you could find matching tile to do it with.

Reactions: difalkner

·
Registered
64 Posts
I always secure islands to the floors. Even though heavy, they can tend to slide around a bit on slick floors. On wood floors, we just screw a couple blocks to the floor. On tile or heated floors, we glue the blocking with construction glue. I like Locktite PL 3x. It doesnt get really brittle with time as some of the cheaper glues do.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Do you live in earthquake country? Imagine it jumping and dancing around (or tipping over) with small children nearby. ... or grown adults, come to think of it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Do you live in earthquake country? Imagine it jumping and dancing around (or tipping over) with small children nearby. ... or grown adults, come to think of it.
TA - your post reminded me of a project I managed many years ago in the north east which is rare to have earthquakes. We were installing some large standby generators. The structural engineer spec’ed anchor bolts be included in the concrete pads. I questioned it as each gen-set weighted about 50,000 pounds. I figured once they were placed they would never move. He said something like “just in case there was ever an earthquake as you don’t want them sliding around”. As we engaged him for his expertise, I approved the plan. So a few years ago I’m sitting in my office and the floor starts moving back and forth under my chair (the chair had casters). Yup, earthquake! So you never know!

Regarding the original poster’s question, I agree that the island should be anchored.

·
Ancient Termite
968 Posts
Slab floor under any type of tile, TAPCON
Wood floor under whatever, Screws through the toe kick

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
I did a lot of kitchen installs for over 16 years. Whenever I had an island, I'd position it exactly where it went. Then put down painters tape around the edge so I could move the island out of the way and have an exact location for it. I cut and fastened two 2 x 4's along the long edges of the island. For tile floors, I'd locate my screws so they hit a mortar joint . Just offset the 2x4's the thickness of the island walls. Then set the is
And in place and use finish nails to secure.

·
Registered
Bah humbug
3,335 Posts
There are many ways to install an island. Most installations are done after tile or hardwood installation. If there large there usually in before.

Some glued to the floor , other nailed. Usually a builder request.

You could easily put glue on shoe and nail it to the cabinet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did a lot of kitchen installs for over 16 years. Whenever I had an island, I'd position it exactly where it went. Then put down painters tape around the edge so I could move the island out of the way and have an exact location for it. I cut and fastened two 2 x 4's along the long edges of the island. For tile floors, I'd locate my screws so they hit a mortar joint . Just offset the 2x4's the thickness of the island walls. Then se
I did a lot of kitchen installs for over 16 years. Whenever I had an island, I'd position it exactly where it went. Then put down painters tape around the edge so I could move the island out of the way and have an exact location for it. I cut and fastened two 2 x 4's along the long edges of the island. For tile floors, I'd locate my screws so they hit a mortar joint . Just offset the 2x4's the thickness of the island walls. Then set the is
And in place and use finish nails to secure.
Would you use tapcon screws to fasten 2x4s to floor or does it matter since you're going through the mortar joints?
And in place and use finish

·
Registered
Bah humbug
3,335 Posts
Why do you need tapcons st all. Put cabinet where wanted mark around it , move island. Mark the correct distance back and liquid nail fasteners. Once dry lift into place. Nail through cabinet into glued supports.

·
Registered
Bah humbug
3,335 Posts
How big is the island?
When i put these in kirk Mullins houses they are big enough they tile or hardwood around.
Kirck Chapman (2).JPG
Kirck Chapman (7).JPG

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Most of the kitchens I have done are on joists and a subfloor, so no need for tapcons. If it were a concrete slab, I would use tapcons. Others have mentioned liquid nails, and that's fine, just depends what you're used to.
Mike Hawkins

·
Figuring it Out
18 Posts
Another consideration:

In the US, the National Electrical Code requires at least one receptacle to be provided on a kitchen island. Maybe more, depending on how big. I've seen some get around this requirement by arguing to the inspector that an unsecured island isn't an 'island' but rather a piece of furniture that happens to sit in the kitchen.

If you anchor it to the floor, has to have a receptacle by code. If you don't anchor it to the floor, maybe it doesn't, depending on who you ask.

If you want to look it up in the code, the reference is 210.52(C).

·
Registered
Bah humbug
3,335 Posts
I do not believe my daughter has a receptive in her island. This depend on each state and county.

The diferent would be locked or unlocked when inspected...

She'll regret it if she want to use a mixer for a cake up there..lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts