Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to build a seating bench with storage. the back would be against a wall. This would be a long bench with a small built-in table to divide it into half.

So my plan is to use some 2x4 and 2x6 for the frame and use 3/4" plywood to create the box. the storage part makes things tricky. please see attached for my design and let me know if you have suggestions to improve it. I have nearly no woodworking skills. Please see attached for a side view. I don't really like to the way it would look from the side (just the back rest part). please advise.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
I just finished something very similar to this in my kitchen I more or less built it the way you drew it up. I used a piano hinge for the storage lid. I did use all 2x 4 though as its really plenty strong enough. And just 1/4 in ply for all the sides and strips of pine for the false fronts. And 3/4 maple ply for the seat with a piece of solid wood edging.

Floor Flooring Laminate flooring Hardwood Property

One thing I would add to the pic is your probably gonna want just a little bit of overhang on the seat. For both aesthetics and comfort.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a nice looking bench you have there. I have plans to put cushions on the seat and the back as well. the angle on the back messes things up actually! otherwise it would be fairly straightforward. Can you please show me how you built the frame and how the outer frame is built?

Thanks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I orginally planned to cushion the seats as well but after seeing the price of high density foam I reworked my plan lol. I can take pics of the inside when o get home as I'm at work right now but it was simple just a box I notches tje 2x4 to for over the top and bottom frame. And nailed it all together. The angled back is really not a problem just bevel the bottom of the back to sit flush on the seat and cit a piece of ply to fit the angle at the end. Then trim it out to hide all the plywood edges.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.