Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much time for woodworking this year, but did sneak in some hours on the lathe, just in time. Finish is WB High build lacquer.

Salt and Pepper, 12" high, figured soft Maple

Inlaid segmented platter 12" dia, Curly Maple, Cherry ring and inlay from Padauk.

Pistachio base with Cherry and Maple segments 9" diameter

Hackberry 5" dia.

Maple, did these as a demo at our club, they are turned from a 7" dia 3/4" thick board, by cutting rings with a parting tool on the lathe, then stacking the rings, gluing them and turning the bowls.

Segmented pot, 10" dia by 12" high, Maple and Cherry

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Nice!
I have a ringcutter too, been thinking of how to incorporate that into some turnings--especially with a well figured board.

·
Registered
620 Posts
was just wondering how you do the inlay? that looks great and I would love to learn to do it!Very cool... Is there a video you watched or article you read on doing inlay on curved surfaces like that? anyway...well done!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Not much TIME for WOODWORKING!! It would have taken me ALL year to finish all those PROJECTS! They are AMAZING!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
was just wondering how you do the inlay? that looks great and I would love to learn to do it!Very cool... Is there a video you watched or article you read on doing inlay on curved surfaces like that? anyway...well done!
Here is a previous thread I posted showing the inlay process, just scroll down, the build till you get to the inlay part.

For the platter, the inlaid base is fully free floating, otherwise due to wood movement it will distort the base and cause a rocker bottom. In other words the base is not glued, but sandwiched between two segmented rings, being the platter you see in the picture and a foot below the platter.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/chippendale-chairs-38430/

Sorry to the poster who complained about my picture sizes, they come from links directly out of photobucket. I don't have to scroll to see them, also don't have to scroll to see them on my Iphone.

·
where's my table saw?
29,617 Posts
scrolling to read the text

Sorry to the poster who complained about my picture sizes, they come from links directly out of photobucket. I don't have to scroll to see them, also don't have to scroll to see them on my Iphone.
I don't know why they are OK for you....?

But on WWT, I have to scroll to read the text and it's to the point I just won't do it, inspite of the great threads I may miss. The right and left arrows work better than scrolling, but it's till a pain.
I wish this site would format photos that are too wide to read without scrolling, or disallow them. When I realize I have posted a photo or copied and pasted one, I will either resize it or just not post it.
I don't want to inconvenience or annoy anyone here. :no:

·
Scotty D
4,479 Posts
When pics are posted beyond the forum recommended size, we have to scroll left to right to read every sentence. And every subsequent post there after becomes the same. When I go to your photobucket and right click to find the property's of your photos, it says they have been "re sized" to fit "photobuckets" format... When you post them here, they are not re sized to the correct forum size. They are too large. I either set my camera to the correct size, or re size my photos before posting. I realize there are differences between pads/phones/pc's. I just get tired of quality threads being ruined by the fact that I would have to scroll back and forth to read every sentence. (which I refuse to do) If you do not experience this problem, than possibly it's just me. btw, nice work. :smile:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When pics are posted beyond the forum recommended size, we have to scroll left to right to read every sentence. And every subsequent post there after becomes the same. When I go to your photobucket and right click to find the property's of your photos, it says they have been "re sized" to fit "photobuckets" format... When you post them here, they are not re sized to the correct forum size. They are too large. I either set my camera to the correct size, or re size my photos before posting. I realize there are differences between pads/phones/pc's. I just get tired of quality threads being ruined by the fact that I would have to scroll back and forth to read every sentence. (which I refuse to do) If you do not experience this problem, than possibly it's just me. btw, nice work. :smile:
Next time I will do the photos directly here, instead of Photobucket.
Just curious, which Windows version are you on?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you! Windows 8 :smile:
Sorry for the inconvenience.

The reason it works fine on my computers Internet Explorer, Iphone, Chrome, is because "autofit images" is enabled.

Internet explorer - Advanced Options - scroll down to "Multimedia" section and enable the box "Automatic Image Resizing"

Will keep my promise and downsize for next build

Reactions: mdntrdr
1 - 14 of 14 Posts