Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use a router crafter? I was wondering how well they worked. Looking at the picture they appear to be a little Mickey Mouse and would do as much sanding as routing to make the parts usable. I thought I would just get one and see for myself but they have been going for about triple what they retailed for on ebay.

·
7,222 Posts
Anyone use a router crafter? I was wondering how well they worked. Looking at the picture they appear to be a little Mickey Mouse and would do as much sanding as routing to make the parts usable. I thought I would just get one and see for myself but they have been going for about triple what they retailed for on ebay.
Forum member Daren used to have one. John Lucas used to have two.

I purchased one in July 2012. New old stock, still in the original box. I paid $40, which in hindsight was only $40 too much. :thumbdown:

I was hoping to be able to add the spiral style flutes to some turnings.

So far this "tool" has only met my expectations for ability to gather dust.

The first surprise is that the carriage does not travel the entire length of the rails. It stops about 9in before the head end.

The method of mounting the work piece in the head end assumes you are working with square stock, about 2+in. I made a jig with dowel glued into a piece of plywood to get around this issue. The jig effectively moves the head mounting point down the rails.

After I made the jig, the next surprise was the "slop" in the carriage. Slop is an understatement. I would not expect to be able to get consistent depth of the router due to how much the carriage can move on the rail. I would need to come up with some method to hold the carriage consistent to the rail. I have not yet spent the time for this fix.

The router needs to be screwed to the carriage. This part is expected. If I did not have the other issues, I would have drilled the holes in my DeWalt 611 router base. Unless I can fix the slop in the carriage, it is not worth drilling the 611 base.

Let me know if you need any pictures or have other questions.

·
Registered
26,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That responce is pretty much what I expected. It looked to me the spiral flutes would be so crude it would look like it was whittled by hand. This is what I ment by having to sand as much as route. If your unhappy with yours, sell it on ebay and make a $300.00 profit.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've had some fun with mine although I haven't used it for years and I never took any pics until I got a camera phone. This was split for the face corners of a TV entertainment center. Absolutely true that you can only mill in one direction. Just stumbled on another that was fun too!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Legs and spindles

Back in the late 70's I made similar spirals with my router crafter, but than I made these practical items for a step table, dough box table and spindles for a platform rocker. I made a special motor setup to sand the spindles. I still have the crafter but now I use my lathe. The crafter is a good duplicator after you make a profile to duplicate. The chair was my first piece of furniture I made from plans. The tables were made from following photographs from a Ethan Allen furniture catalog and the dimension were provided in the catalog such as height, length but not detailed. Back then this furniture was known as Early American Style

chr legs (Copy).jpg

tbl 2 lgs (Copy).jpg

tbl lgs (Copy).jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts