Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm a new guy.

I was looking through the this thread trying to find an answer. I recently purchased two Sears band saws for $65 and I'n trying to figure out which one to keep. According to the manuals I downloaded they are about two years apart in age. One is plastic and one is metal housed. Other than that they seem pretty similar to me. I do realize that there is something I am missing so here I am.

Below are the model numbers.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Now go look for a 12 inch saw/sander and I'll tell you how to make a hotrod out of it. Tilt table.Hexagon guide post.;)

It's a fine sander too if you tweak it a bit. No, not twerk:furious:. 3/4 by 80" sanding belts last quite a while.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Jeff, Just being honest with you. If you plan on any serious woodworking you will be disappointed with either one. They are low on power and the blade selection is limited. You would be better off selling both if you can and looking for a good used 14" Delta or even a Taiwan Delta look alike with at least a 1HP motor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm just looking for something to keep me from getting worked up about politics. I figured at $65 for both I couldn't go wrong.

I'd like to find a lathe and make some 10 and 14 mm beads. But I need to sell my tool box first.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
I had one that we used to cut miles of fibreglass on.Oh yeah,we'd also take it on big jobs where it got used for hdwd flooring.....all the little cuts N pcs.

With a decent blade and tuneup they work good for "some" applications.To think of it as a "serious" woodshop BS is a little hopeful......but hey,if it makes you money?

And like posted above,you can always use it as a bandsander.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Jeff, Just being honest with you. If you plan on any serious woodworking you will be disappointed with either one. They are low on power and the blade selection is limited. You would be better off selling both if you can and looking for a good used 14" Delta or even a Taiwan Delta look alike with at least a 1HP motor.
I agree 100%. I started with a trip to look at band saws a few years ago. Not believing the sales associate that I really needed a $1,000 14 inch 1 hp band saw I left with a $400 1/3 hp 9 inch jet. At first it was fine but weeks later I realized how limited in power and slow it was. I then resorted to a 2nd hand mystery brand 14 inch 1/2 hp Frankenstein of a band saw I got off craigs list for $100. After spending well over the purchase price in new tires, new guide blocks, new guide assemblies, spending hours setting it up to get terrible cuts, and having to have parts custom machined to fit I was still bogging down the motor and getting blade drift. Fed up with it I went to wood craft and left with a new 1 3/4 hp 14 | 12 Laguna. Granted I have only made test cuts so far but after cutting a perfect 1/8 inch thick sheet from a 4 inch tall piece of stock, and getting perfectly square cuts I can't wait to get more use out of it.

Long story short, cheap machines aren't cheap when you have to buy a new one every year. You should aim for every machine to be the last one you will ever need, thats how you save money. I put close to $600 in two saws I will never use again, should have just started with the Laguna.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts