Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I use CrystaLac grain filler and apply a danish oil (which I've fortified with additional varnish) will there be any issues with the danish oil soaking in, having undesirable build up, or any other strange interaction with wood that has had a grain filler applied?

Thanks. Cheers.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
If I use CrystaLac grain filler and apply a danish oil (which I've fortified with additional varnish) will there be any issues with the danish oil soaking in, having undesirable build up, or any other strange interaction with wood that has had a grain filler applied?

Thanks. Cheers.
Once the filler has cured, you can topcoat.

·
Registered
26,653 Posts
You would have better results if after you use the crystalac to let is dry and then sand the wood with 180 grit paper before applying the oil finish especially if you are using a Danish finish with some color. The crystalac will seal the wood surface and may come out blotchy if you are using a finish with stain.

·
Rick Mosher
1,010 Posts
What species of wood are you filling the grain?

The proper method of using a grain filler (esp an oil based grain filler but apparently works with Crystalac as well) is as follows:

1. White wood sand to 180 with a hardwood (this must be perfect since you can't go back and do it again after the washcoat use a bright light at a low raking angle and inspect for any scratches or defects.)

2. Now is the time to stain if you are going to color the wood. I prefer dye stains for most applications.

3. Wash coat of sealer. This could be a thinned down version of whatever top coat you are going to use, shellac, vinyl sealer etc. It should be pretty thin usually around 4 parts thinner to 1 part sealer.

4. Apply your filler making sure to thoroughly force it into the grain and then squeegee it off with a rubber window washers squeegee (The washcoat makes this a very simple process as opposed to the old method of wiping off with burlap or rags which spontaneously combust in your trash and burn your house down.) , Allow to dry for amount of time per the instructions on the can.

5. Sand if the instructions say to. Not all fillers need to be sanded. If the grain is still open you can add another application of filler, usually one coat is enough unless you are filling oak.

6. Apply a full sealer coat. Your grain should look filled at this point and you can proceed with the rest of your finish schedule.

The washcoat before filling does a couple things, it prevents a condition known as "grey pore" where oil based fillers resin leaches into the wood and turns grey over time and also allows you to color the wood one color and use a different color filler if wanted without contaminating the original color ( like in Ceruse type finishes)

Do full step samples on scrap before starting on your project and make sure you understand every step.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts