Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks! My first post. I'm a tyro when it comes to woodworking. Still setting up my shop. Finally have it to the point where I can use it some. I'm making a Toddler Town Car for my 15-mo-old granddaughter. It's s4s oak from what ya'll call a borg. Here's my question: The finish will be rattlecan Satin poly. Should I use a sealer of some sort first? If so, what do you recommend? Thanks for any and all responses.

·
Registered
26,896 Posts
It isn't necessary to use a sealer under the rattle can poly. The finish though is an interior finish so if the car is left outdoors it won't hold up to rain. Also if you are using red oak you especially need to be careful not to get it wet. Red oak turns black when it gets wet.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. It won't be outdoors. It is a small indoor ride-on toy. I would include a pic, but I don't know how.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Just because I worry about such things...

I always suggest using shellac on kids toys especially if they are very young. Kids love to put things in their mouths and with shellac you don't have to worry about any chemicals in the finish.

You can get rattle cans of shellac at the same Borg store where you purchased your lumber. While it scratches easier than poly it lasts a long time and is much easier to repair if it gets scratched too badly.

Shellac = No chemicals in the finish, uses denatured alcohol as a thinner, easy to apply, produces a very child safe finish.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the opinions. I had thought that once the finish cured that it was safe. I think I will go ahead with the Satin Poly. Lots of good info here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts