Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would Linseed "warmed up" and several coats work for sensitive skins. Last time I used oil based stain and poly and made the wife brake out, even after a year.

KS

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Welcome!
Guess it would help to know what you're finishing?
Does all finished furniture elicit a reaction?
Dave H

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Her skin turns red. And Im looking to build a new hardwood dining room table and laptop desk/cart for her.

Not sure about other finished wood bothing her.

She doent seem to break out to an older vinear table weve had for years.

List of up coming projects,

(All hardwood)
Entertainment Center w/ Japanese hanging lamps & "maybe built-n speakers"
Laptops desk/wheelchair friendly
Standup desk/bad back & neck
Hardwood cages/kennels for house pets
Dining room table/wheelchair friendly
Canopy bed & frame
Japanese floor lamps
Compact workbench for bad back/neck
Raised/portable cedar gardening beds
Outdoor cedar table for outdoor cooking
Kitchen cart
Coffee Table
Dresser
Double Decker EndTable

She might endup touching all "above"

KS

·
Registered
27,097 Posts
If she is alergic to linseed oil then the wood probably should have a film coating such as a water based polyurethane. If you just have to have an oil finish you might try tung oil and see if she is alergic to it also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dont remember what Minwax stain I used last time, oil or water. And I did use a poly coat (dont remember if it was water or oil) on said stain. I havent tried linseed yet.

·
Registered
27,097 Posts
Dont remember what Minwax stain I used last time, oil or water. And I did use a poly coat (dont remember if it was water or oil) on said stain. I havent tried linseed yet.
Well the part of the word poly is derived from polymer. Polyurethane is essentially a plastic coating. I don't see how she would be alergic to it once it's cured. The oil based finish does contain linseed oil though. You may have to start using all water based products.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Before I get started on my projects , sounds like Ill go ahead and,

Get a peace of hardwood, a few coats of linseed and a few coats of water based poly?

Any thoughts on steps or Linseed & Poly brands?

KS

·
Registered
27,097 Posts
Before I get started on my projects , sounds like Ill go ahead and,

Get a peace of hardwood, a few coats of linseed and a few coats of water based poly?

Any thoughts on steps or Linseed & Poly brands?

KS
I just use polycrylic. It's available everywhere. Any water based polyurethane is incompatable with linseed oil. You either need to let the stain dry 3 days to a week before applying the water based polyurethane or use Zinsser Sealcoat shellac as a barrier coat first. In you case that might be advisable anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts