Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks!

I am currently making a dinning table for a client. The Top is of ash and should have a rustic finish.

I'm trying to immetate an effect I have seen used by another Cabinet maker somewhere.
What I have done is got a damp rag and ironed it over the table top to raise the grain and then immediately scrubed it back with a coars wire brush to remove all of the soft grain.

I will probably have to bleach the wood afterwards as it has left watter marks.

The one issue that I'm having is that I would like to give the final finish a bit of a softer feel. My initial idea was to wire wool it. The problem with that is that The wire wool leaves behind little bits of wire in the grain. It doesn't look to great.

I have a few more tricks up my sleeve but would like to get some input. Any suggestions?

I will get some pictures up on my website as soon as it's done.

Cheers

Fabian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention. For an extremly rustic effect you could band saw the surface before scrubbing it!

I did so on a test piece and am sure to use it in future projects.

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
These two posts leave it hard to determine if the poster is asking for information or trying to tell how to make a rustic table top.

George

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
These two posts leave it hard to determine if the poster is asking for information or trying to tell how to make a rustic table top.

George
It does sound like that, but he did ask...
I have a few more tricks up my sleeve but would like to get some input. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
you can just use very hot water instead of ironing to soften the wood enough to wire brush, use a circular brush on a drill instead of handled brush, you can also rent [if you don't have one] a sand blasting unit to take away the soft wood[ samples first!] if water method is done correctly there should be no need to bleach. without pics of what your trying to acheive it's hard to tell what else will work or could be done ok?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts