Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been scrollsawing for about 1 year now and I have always wanted to make a scrollsaw portrait but I have been failing.
I have been using 3mm plywood, as that is what most people use but every time I cut a piece out, it snaps off halfway through the cut.

I'm just wondering am I using the right type wood for this and if so what thickness should I be using?

Many thanks,

Jackson

·
Registered
994 Posts
Baltic Birch Plywood, in 1/8" (probably .118 or 3mm as well) is what I see many scroll saw artists use around my neighborhood. If yours is snapping then it may not be the real stuff. It comes in 60" x 60" sheets typically. I've seen apple ply and other attempts at making a competing product in the states, but it has never been as good as original Baltic Birch.

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,569 Posts
I cut all my portraits out of 1/4" oak, which actually makes it harder to cut without snapping. For you to be snapping plywood, it sounds like you may be using to coarse of a blade for the thickness of the material that you are cutting. What size blade are you using? I wouldn't go any bigger than a #2R blade for that kind of a cut.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I'm with Kenbo on this, its' probably the blade. Another factor could be the feed rate or saw speed, but most important is the blade.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts