Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
(clever wood pun here)
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be clear, I have never used a scroll saw. I've got my first child on the way this December and I've got a number of new wood projects in the queue. I am finding myself trying to make more intricate and delicate cuts than what I've had to do previously. From what I've seen, a scroll saw might be the answer, but I wanted some advice on what I should look for.

I suppose I will start by explaining the kind of work I'd like to do. I want to be able to cut out semi-intricate to intricate shapes from 4/4 and thinner hard and soft woods. This seems simple enough, right? Right now, the tools that I would be using for any of this are my jigsaw (Porter Cable PC600JS), coping saw, jeweler's saw, and some creative drilling (no drill press either :thumbdown:).

I know that cast iron beds are preferred (as with all stationary tools), as is variable speed--but what do I really need in order to get decent results? With the munchkin on the way, my tool toy budget is significantly impacted :yes:. I saw this posting on Craig's List a while back and decided to message the seller for some more info. The more I look at it, though, the more I think it would just be a headache and waste of time.:blink:

http://pullman.craigslist.org/tls/3973110019.html

·
7,222 Posts
Ben,

Not much traffic on your thread.

I am not a fan of the wooden scroll saw you show.

I do not know much about scroll saws, but I normally find if I have a tool and use it, I find out the features I really want.

I purchased a Grizzly G1572 scroll saw in the late 1990's on clearance. It is gathering dust.

I will pass on for the cost of shipping if you are interested. I would say this is a tool to use to understand the future tool you really want to purchase.

Here is a link to the manual.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/63210/Grizzly-G1572.html

·
(clever wood pun here)
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ben,

Not much traffic on your thread.

I am not a fan of the wooden scroll saw you show.

I do not know much about scroll saws, but I normally find if I have a tool and use it, I find out the features I really want.

I purchased a Grizzly G1572 scroll saw in the late 1990's on clearance. It is gathering dust.

I will pass on for the cost of shipping if you are interested. I would say this is a tool to use to understand the future tool you really want to purchase.

Here is a link to the manual.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/63210/Grizzly-G1572.html
Woa! :eek:! I had to read this twice to make sure I understood this correctly. Yeah, I would definitely take you up on this offer if you're sure it is a tool you're no longer using.

Dave, you're are one generous and conscientious guy--and the epitome of why this place is so great. PM if you're sure you're willing to do this and we can set up the details. I'll try and find a way to pay it forward :yes::thumbsup:

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Ive been a bit absent of late

when I come across a thread like this it is great ---- big thumbs up

Congratulations and hope I dee your 1st WIP with your new baby (scroll saw I mean)

·
(clever wood pun here)
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I got the second box of saw parts Monday and got it assembled later that evening. USPS did everything in their power to spoil my fun. Both boxes had a rough ride and the smaller box had a hole ripped in it along the edge and extending the length of the box. Alas, I had enough parts to build a fully functional scroll saw. Dave packed everything g in there well enough that even the gaping hole it the box wasn't powerful enough to coerce the saw parts out.

I made a test cut in a sheet of thin plywood that Dave had used as packing material. 1/4" hardwood was slow going with the OEM blade, but I was able to move through the ply with relative ease. I watched several of Kenbo's YouTube videos and have learned a lot. I got a variety pack of Olson blades from my hardware store and look forward to tearing (somewhat) through some hard wood!

Text Paper Paper product Book Document

Paper

Power plugs and sockets Technology

Scale model Vehicle

Wood Finger Wood stain Hardwood Floor

View attachment 79558

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Woodworking Talk

·
Banned
615 Posts
The reason I love this forum! I've seen more help and generosity in the year or two I've been on here then I have my entire military career.

Congrats on the upcoming newborn! Its exciting anticipation, and opens a door to a ton of new projects you wouldn't likely consider otherwise. Treat that grizzly well!

If jigs and tools were chairs and stools, we'd always have a place to sit.
~Stumpy Nubs

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nice saw, mine in a Ryobi about 18 years old or so. Might be time to upgrade. I think I'll get back into my scroll saw a little bit. I have never really learned that tool. Now that I plan on doing a little more smaller items, having that knowledge in my arsenal may prove to be useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

·
(clever wood pun here)
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice saw, mine in a Ryobi about 18 years old or so. Might be time to upgrade. I think I'll get back into my scroll saw a little bit. I have never really learned that tool. Now that I plan on doing a little more smaller items, having that knowledge in my arsenal may prove to be useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
I am very new to scrolling (obviously), but I've already gained a ton of insight from watching videos posted by our own Kenbo. Sure, he has a $1000+ scroll saw--but most of the tips he gives seem to apply to entry level saws as well.

www.youtube.com/user/kennyearrings1‎

Go on guys, try it out.:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.