Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to work with a scroll saw. I'm hoping to use it in our basement because I don't have a air conditioned garage. I'm starting out with a inexpensive scroll saw I found at a garage sale. It is very quiet when I turn it on; however, the noise increases considerably when I run wood through it. Is this normal?

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,583 Posts
Noise like this is very normal. Your saw probably sounds almost like it is purring when running without wood being cut. Once the wood is being cut, vibration of the saw, the teeth cutting the blade, strain on the motor etc, can cause extra noise. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless the noise is grinding or unbearable loud. Out of curiosity, what type of saw are you running right now.

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,583 Posts
Not having Harbour Freight in Canada, kind of limits my knowledge of the saw. However, it still sounds like the noises that you are experience are normal cutting noises. After a while of cutting, you will get used to what sound normal and what sounds damaging. Cheaper saws will tend to be louder than more expensive ones.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Thanks Ken,
I am using a dremel brand now but it seems so rough to me. I can't imagine doing the kind of detail you do with the saw I have. Right now I am trying different blades and wood types to see if I can improve but an upgrade may be coming.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts