Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Tool Fanactic
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thing is cool. This is not something one comes across more then once in a lifetime, I suppose at least, because they seem to be really rare.

I actually have a bunch of work coming up real soon that this thing would be perfect for.

Here is a catalog cut: http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/80/3071.pdf

Here is the only one set up I can find:

Here is mine:

It has a clutched or friction drive pulley, the table is in rough shape and the billows for the air pump has seen its better days.

The two things I will need to figure out is how to mount it to the ceiling and what kind of blades to get, or how to modify blades to work.[/QUOTE]

·
Tool Fanactic
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All the parts on the bottom are clean and painted. I bet I have logged two hours in front of the parts slinger, er buffer with wire wheels.

I am still trying to clear the oil channel inside the drive arbor shaft.

Literature says to file or grind a slot in the blade to fit in the bottom mount. I see no reason for that, this looks like tension pulling up is the only thing that holds the blade in place on the lower mount.

I am kind of sad a little, but I think the table is too far gone to even try and salvage. It has had a good case of ants or the like.

I would like to assemble the lower half and then take the top half apart to clean it.

I guess my only source for blades is cutting up bandsaw blade stock?

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
So just a question. How big is this shop of yours? I've seen several huge monster machines that you posted om here. Your shop must be huge.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just saw this over on the other forum(the ONLY other forum;)), and thought it was about the craziest, coolest old machine/ assembly I'd seen. Glad the person who not only found it, but recognized what on earth it was can also use it. Let us know how it turns out.

Camden

·
Tool Fanactic
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Table is almost done, I found what I consider an appropriate motor at my local industrial salvage place, found the right paper pulley in my stash and even found a starter in my stash. Finding a suitable place to mount the motor may be a challenge as there is no clearance for the drive belt.

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,568 Posts
That is looking fantastic!!! I was thinking that it's amazing what a little cleaning and some paint will do, and then I saw the stand with the finished work table. What an amazing job. I love it. Looking forward to the rest of the thread and possible a video of this bad boy in action? :yes:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts