Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some info on a scroll saw someone has, I can buy it for $40.00 it is in excellent condition it is a 16"model and it is made by Ryobi. I don't use a scroll saw but for that price I will use it for something the problem is he has lost the manual and I can't find any reference on this saw on the Ryobi web site. The model number is SC= 160 does anyone have an opinion or info on this saw thanks.

Bruce.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Check the ryobi website. It's a little involved, but your saw is listed in the support section. They've got a parts schematic as well, but I couldn't find an online manual... but I'll bet you can request one from them.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check the ryobi website. It's a little involved, but your saw is listed in the support section. They've got a parts schematic as well, but I couldn't find an online manual... but I'll bet you can request one from them.
Thanks I will try that.

Bruce.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you are looking for a cheap saw then this might be a o.k. starter say. If you can afford say $100, then look for a craftsman or a better quality saw. From what I have heard Ryobi scrollsaws are not very well made.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I used the scroll saw today this is a very nice saw here is some info on this saw the saw is twelve years old. It has a castiron table and the housing is cast also, it weighs 49 lb I still need to get a manual for it however for $40.00 it is a good deal for me must have been one of the first Ryobi built for the U.S. market.

Bruce.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you are looking for a cheap saw then this might be a o.k. starter say. If you can afford say $100, then look for a craftsman or a better quality saw. From what I have heard Ryobi scrollsaws are not very well made.
Some of the Ryobi units are probably cheap jobs that are similar to other mainstream cheap versions.

However, if you go to Sears and look at one of the Craftsman units they have that has the teflon-coated table you will discover that, except for the colors, it is identical to a Ryobi 18-incher that was discontinued a while back. I have that Ryobi unit (purchased cheap as the line was cleared out of the local Home Depot) and it works well, although it has a bit more vibration than I would like at high stroke speeds. Bolting it to a heavy bench helped.

Howard Ferstler

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think you can get a bench top modal now that is castiron so I think I did very well and it is heavy thanks to all.

Bruce.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Cant speak to the cast iron version you got but I know the current models vibrate so bad we got rid of it. I think for $40 though you did quite well.

Remember, its the blade that does the cutting! When your ready to upgrade, give the Hawk Scroll saw a look. We have one now and cant believe how well it works.

·
Maker of fine Toothpicks
54 Posts
The older units are not bad saw specially for 40.00. Heck if you use it for a year or 2 and in stops running on you, you got your 40 out of it. Just my 2 cents.

Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts