Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a delta scroll saw from a auction . I new scroll saw and wanted to buy blades . Wow I didn't relieve how many different blades there where. I'm new to scroll saw work I want to practice cutting what blade do I need . There pin blades no pins blades and help or how to on scroll saw would be greatly apperciated .
S

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,666 Posts
I would stay away from pinned blades as they are usually used for more aggressive cutting with a lack of tight turning ability.
I've always used olson blades and they have never done me wrong. Some guys swear by flying dutchman, but I've stuck with Olson. What blades to buy is a tangled web that requires more questions. What type of wood will you be cutting? What thickness? Puzzles? Fretwork? etc etc etc. One suggestion that I would make would be to stick to reverse tooth blades. They cut on the down and the up stroke to reduce burring.
Here's a chart to help you with your size selection.
View attachment blade usage.pdf

·
Registered
73 Posts
Delta 40-650 Scroll Saw (need blades)

sbrooks,

I'm in the exact situation as you, bought saw at auction, need blades for 40-650 Delta Scroll Saw. I've been able to find absolutely nothing on the search. These blades have to be interchangeable with many different makes and models, I would think.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I just got a delta scroll saw from a auction . I new scroll saw and wanted to buy blades . Wow I didn't relieve how many different blades there where. I'm new to scroll saw work I want to practice cutting what blade do I need . There pin blades no pins blades and help or how to on scroll saw would be greatly apperciated .
S
i use these you can call mike and ask him what blade would be best for what ever wood you are cutting , i have the hagner 18" which used pinless blades , just call mike good luck

http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's not the type of blade for the wood I'm cutting, which I'm questioning, it's the model # of the blade to fit the saw. :)

I contacted Mike about replacement parts for the saw, and he stated he had none. :(

·
Registered
147 Posts
All the scrollsaw blades are the same length. There is not a specific type of blade for your scrollsaw. They are all interchangeable . I personally think painless should be used on yours. You buy blades according to what you want to do. The thinner blades for more intricate cutting and the heavier blades for the thicker woods. Some blades cut better in hard woods than others. Buy a variety pack of blades and get the feel of which blades works best for you. Some of the brands mentioned in the thread are excellent brands. Blades are cheap experiment with them . I use mostly # 5 or 7 blades and go to # 12 blades for thicker and large pieces of hardwood. Everyone has different likes that work best for them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.