Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All... our contractor hung 1.5" thick, heavy, solid core accordion doors on our closet. However, the doors are made of MDF and he used itty-bitty 0.5" wood screws to fasten the hinges. Not surprisingly, a year out, the screws are pulling right out of the doors and falling off.

So, I'm trying to re-hang the doors. Even I know not to use wood screws into MDF, but I want to make sure I do this right. Any suggestions? These are heavy doors.

I was thinking of either:
- pre-drilled, 1" wood screws with plastic inserts
- pre-drilled, 1" Confirmat screws

maybe some putty or carpenter's glue?

Thanks.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

Use the correct size screw (the #) and make sure the head seats into the countersink of the hinge leaf. Use coarse thread screws. If there are ½" screws in there now, go to 1". If you are using the same holes break off some wood toothpicks and insert in the holes, before inserting the screws. Do them by hand, or with a cordless on slow speed, and just bump the trigger tight.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If it's possible without looking too bad, you could drill through and use machine screws with a washer/locknut. That'd hold pretty well. I don't know if it'd hold better than a nice long wood screw though.

Acer

·
Registered
287 Posts
For a longlasting fix, drill 1/2" holes in at least 2" and glue in hardwood dowels in the holes. Put hinge screws into the center of the dowels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts