Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many of us, I've accumulated a lot of fasteners of various types.

And, like many of us, I have a couple of those racks with lots of little bins for fasteners. On the one hand, it's great: everything is organized, everything is labeled, and I can find stuff quickly. On the other hand, if it tips too far the drawers spill their contents down the back of the rack, and if I need to bring a drawer with me somewhere it's likely to spill.

So what I'm looking for is something similar, but, ideally, with lids on the drawers, or at least drawers that fit tightly. I could just start going to stores and trying things -- and probably will when I have the chance -- but I thought someone might know of something off-hand. Basically the requirements are:

1) Lots of drawers. 25-30, minimum.
2) Ideally, subdivideable drawers.
3) Drawers that are very hard to spill while in the rack. Lids are fine, or a tight fit that keeps everything in the drawer would be enough.
4) An option for wall-hanging would be nice, but isn't a requirement. I can always build a shelf or something.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Craft stores which cater to hobby jewellry makers often sell plastic boxes with compartments and fairly snug lids for what I think they call "findings." = all the ditzy little bits and pieces that they use.

In a sporting goods store, I bought a couple dozen stacking plastic jars = the base of each jar is a screw-top lid for the one below it. About 2" diameter x 1.5" deep each. Even out on a river, they are the cat's meow because I can mix up a set of jars with the things that I need for that kind of fishing, stuff I'd never use on a lake. Maybe it gets to be a stack of 5-6 jars that I can hold in one hand and open anywhere along the length for whatever in want.

In my shop? I got lucky and was given maybe 4 dozen white plastic jars with lids, maybe 4" tall x 4" dia. Row upon row. Labelled. If some fall off the shelves, while I'm reaching for one, no big deal.
The lids are quite secure.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I got one of each of these. The big ones are just right for standard sized boxes of nails and screws.

Akro-Mils 10144 D 20-Inch by 16-Inch by 6-1/2-Inch Hardware and Craft Cabinet, Black

Akro-Mils 10124 24 Drawer Plastic Parts Storage Hardware and Craft Cabinet, 20-Inch x 16-Inch x 6.5-Inch, Black

Both available on Amazon. Tried posting the link, but it didn't seem to work.

Cabinet's a little flimsy, maybe, but as long as you don't drop it...

Mountable, as well.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
A friend of mine once told me the best please to store screws and bolts was ace hardware. Get just what you need when you need it. That behind said I have a cupboard full in the garage. I store them in the packages they came in

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
amckenzie4 said:
Thanks! Dave, how hard is it to spill things out of the drawers while they're in the cabinet?
Unless the cabinet moves, almost impossible. I've had two of them for a few years and never spilled any when the drawers were in the cabinet.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unless the cabinet moves, almost impossible. I've had two of them for a few years and never spilled any when the drawers were in the cabinet.
How about when the cabinet moves? Part of what's prompting this is that I'd like to consolidate to a single cabinet so I can bring my fasteners inside for the summer. Right now I'm in a situation where I can't get into my garage because the doors are frozen shut, so if I need ANYTHING I'll have to go buy it new. That means carrying everything around at least twice a year until I've got the garage insulated and heated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.