Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm planning to turn some chess pieces soon and was doing some research on-line. I noticed that most chess piece turners use a screw chuck like the one shown below.

Can anyone recommend a source for these chucks? I have a 1" x 8 tpi arbor on my lathe

Thanks,

Kevin H.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I wonder why they would use a screw chuck. It leaves a hole in the bottom. I just put a square piece the size I need in my chuck that has 1" jaws. Turn the chess piece and then part it off very carefully. If I need a clean bottom I part it most of the way. Use a spindle gouge or toe of the skew to turn this part. Then part it there rest of the way off and carve away the little tenon left.
If you want it's very easy to simply make one of those screw chucks. Put a flat piece of wood in your chuck. Face it off so the front is flat. Center drill it all the way through with a drill that is the same diameter as the shank of the screw you plan to use. Screw the screw in from the back most of the way. Then put some epoxy on the remaining thread and screw it the rest of the way in. I like to use either a hex head or flat head so I can pour more epoxy over it to keep it from spinning. That's about all there is to making one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Another option is to purchase a Beall spindle tap, make a small faceplate, drill a hole in the centre then install a lag bolt.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Mer..._Code=113901&Category_Code=lathes-acc-spintap

You will find a number of uses for the spindle tap, faceplates, jam chucks, etc.
I just went to my local hardware store this last week and purchased a 1" x 8 TPI bolt for about $5. It is 2" long and makes a great tap. I took it home and used my angle grinder to cut 6 channels (one corresponding to each side of the hex head) that are about twice the depth of the threads going lengthwise. Now I can drill a 7/8" hole in a piece of wood and screw this "tap" into it and the hole becomes nicely threaded to fit on my lathe.

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I really liked the wooden solutions from anoldlady.

I ended up ordering a metal screw chuck from Amazon. You can see it here. It's fairly inexpensive at $33 and just arrived last night. I'll probably try it out over the weekend if my shop is warm enough to work in. I'll report back later with a review of it.

Thanks again,

Kevin H.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts