Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my wife has decided that our house needs a screen door on over our back door. Not a metal storm door, which would be relatively simple, but the kind of wood screen door that slams shut behind you like the one on your grandma's house. The catch is we have 8' doors rather than the normal 6'8", which apparently is not a standard production item. Now I hang out over in the turners forum because I only know how to make round stuff. That being said, I've seen enough 8' boards in my life to know that they rarely stay straight. Any advice out there on how to construct this thing to minimize the chance of bowing? It will be painted and we live in north Texas with fairly high humidity.

The style will be something like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I agree with using Oak. I'd also think seriously about painting the door before adding screen. A good coat of paint will at least slow the bowing process if not stop it totally. History is filled with Oak doors in humid climates that remain strong and straight for centuries (Think England). Also looking into a couple of those turn buckles that you see on garden gates. I built a gate for our yard by cutting it from a piece of 3" tall wooden privacy fencing from HD and used one of those buckles. After more than 10 years of Florida humidity and heavy rain it still stands nice and straight. Its only problem is that it tends to swell after a heavy rain and get stuck in the opening.

You'll need to make it rather strong, so plan on at least 3" widths for each board and maybe more. Also plan on 3/4 or 5/4 material, whichever fits in the door frame best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts