Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a college student that has a woodworking hobby. Hardwoods are EXTREMELY expensive. Does anyone know where i could get some free or cheap scraps of wood in the Baltimore, MD area?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
What do you like building......do you need wood the size of pen blanks? Or are you trying to build kitchen tables. It may make a difference....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since i am looking for free/cheap scraps i am willing to accept any size. I always like trying to build new things so i think its more just getting the wood, then seeing what i can do with it.

I am interested in a few things though, guitar picks, maybe make some razors, cutting boards... stuff like that.

I always have trouble buying gifts for people, everyone already has everything or they can't afford it. I feel like making cool things out of cool looking wood is actually a perfect gift.

So, if i find anything i will make use of it.

Also interested in making table and shelves out of reclaimed wood

·
Registered
292 Posts
You might want to call around to some cabinet shops to see if they have any scraps. I've done that before and have been pleasantly surprised with what I've gotten for free. They even gave some wood that they weren't going to throw away. It doesn't hurt to ask.

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
I am a college student that has a woodworking hobby. Hardwoods are EXTREMELY expensive. Does anyone know where i could get some free or cheap scraps of wood in the Baltimore, MD area?
PM me. If you're willing to drive a bit I have several bins of exotics and hardwood scraps (mostly short pieces). I can provide some to you. Also, check with builders in the area and see if that have cut-offs from hardwood flooring installations. They make great small boxes and can be glued up to look nice for larger projects.

I also have a bunch of pallet wood, already taken apart, in ~4 foot lengths I can give you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts