Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There have been several times in the last few decades that I'd been overrun with leftover scraps of wood from past projects. I take a quick inventory of what is there, and start iterating on what type of project I might be able to make from them. This table is one of those outcomes. It was used in the last house I lived in as a place to sit in front of a picture window that looked over our beautiful back yard. The drawer usually held the checkbook and current bills to be paid. This little table was a great place to sit while paying bills. A longer write-up with more details you can find on my blog HERE.

4D Table Furniture Writing desk Desk Wood
Desk Table Wood Rectangle Varnish

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
There have been several times in the last few decades that I'd been overrun with leftover scraps of wood from past projects. I take a quick inventory of what is there, and start iterating on what type of project I might be able to make from them. This table is one of those outcomes. It was used in the last house I lived in as a place to sit in front of a picture window that looked over our beautiful back yard. The drawer usually held the checkbook and current bills to be paid. This little table was a great place to sit while paying bills. A longer write-up with more details you can find on my blog HERE.

4D View attachment 440088 View attachment 440089
Very unique!

Do you think working with the scrap on hand influenced your design choices?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very unique!

Do you think working with the scrap on hand influenced your design choices?
Great question! Usually there is a little back and forth negotiation between my sketchbook and what materials I have on-hand. The Scraps table started with a left over piece of cheap and ugly 3/4" plywood that I wanted to either get rid of or make something useful out of. There was enough plywood to make the two sides and center piece of what I originally thought might be a little shop table. I had (still have) several 8' long pieces of vinyl wrapped MDF shelving brought from my last house where it had been storage shelves in the basement. One piece had already been cut to 3' long or so and it became the top of the ugliest table I'd ever made. I had some old-growth pine boards that I wouldn't normally make furniture from but the very straight tight grain looked nice enough to use on this table. My experience with MDF is that it can sag under its own weight if not supported well. Some of that pine became the backstop to cover the exposed back edge and help stiffen the top. Some more became the ends trim, An old hickory wall mounted shelf had not found a home in my current house and it's parts had been repurposed for use on other projects. I had one piece left that would make a good drawer front. Not that I needed a drawer. More because its shape echoed the shape of the backstop and added visual interest to the blossoming aesthetics. What was left to "hide" was the ugly plywood legs. Slices of the pine became trim for the front and back of the sides. A couple more slices added to the top of the sides perpetuate the visual height of the drawer body around the sides. The plywood got painted black so it would disappear relative to the pine trim.

My ugly ducking plywood shop table had feathered out and earned its way into the house.
4D

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'll add that the drawer pulls were left over from a previous project, and they were placed where the drawer front already had screw holes in it. One centered knob would have been enough, but with two holes to cover the drawer has two.
4D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts