Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont have a bandsaw so my bowl blanks get roughed out with chain saw. I was wondering if you guys save the corners you whack off the half log? is there a use for these? or the middle of the log? i know the pith is about worthless but what about the 4-5 inches on either side? let it dry out and maybe make bottle stoppers? pen blanks? Toss it on the fire? haha. Thanks y'all.

·
7,222 Posts
i know the pith is about worthless but what about the 4-5 inches on either side? let it dry out and maybe make bottle stoppers? pen blanks? Toss it on the fire? haha. Thanks y'all.
I asked a similar question some months ago. The concensus was to either make small items like bottle stoppers, pen planks, pizza cutter handles, or to glue the pieces to make larger blanks for similar or larger items.

Last resort is the fire or garbage.

An example made from various offcuts glued together.

Pizza_cutter_Keri_right_1399.jpg

·
Registered
557 Posts
To me there is getting to be less and less scrap wood. And if I did more glue ups there would be even less. Most of what I turn is what other people would throw away or burn. I was told when I first started woodworking anything that hits the floor is profit.

Most of these items are from "scrap". These are for a show this weekend.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To me there is getting to be less and less scrap wood. And if I did more glue ups there would be even less. Most of what I turn is what other people would throw away or burn. I was told when I first started woodworking anything that hits the floor is profit.

Most of these items are from "scrap". These are for a show this weekend.
Wow...see i wouldnt think that scrap could be used like that..thank you for the reply..very nice pieces...its looking like i should hang on to all of it..haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts