Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tool Fanactic
1,899 Posts
It is almost always on sliding TS, which are almost always used for cutting sheet goods.
The scoring blade climb cuts and its primary function is to elminate tear/chip out on prefinished sheet goods, melamine, veneer ply or mdf. It is a Euro thing and came from the way and material they use to build cabinet boxes.

·
where's my table saw?
28,598 Posts
Look out guys...

It is almost always on sliding TS, which are almost always used for cutting sheet goods.
The scoring blade climb cuts and its primary function is to elminate tear/chip out on prefinished sheet goods, melamine, veneer ply or mdf. It is a Euro thing and came from the way and material they use to build cabinet boxes.
Warner wrote more than a 3 word answer. :eek: We may be in for a short novel, who knows? Historical probably having to do with old iron things that make sawdust. ;)

Reactions: mdntrdr

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
OMG! $1800 ! ! ! !

If it is single phase it would be worth the drive from here.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I never realized that the score blade climb cut.

I am trying to come up with how that helps but can't think of anything, so I will ask. How come?

·
Tool Fanactic
1,899 Posts
It climb cuts (blade spins same direction as you feed the material) to avoid tear out. If it spun the same direction as the main blade, well that wouldn't help with any thing.

The climb cut cuts up through the finished surface instead of down through it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
WarnerConstInc. said:
It climb cuts (blade spins same direction as you feed the material) to avoid tear out. If it spun the same direction as the main blade, well that wouldn't help with any thing. The climb cut cuts up through the finished surface instead of down through it.

Ahhhh. That makes since. When I actually picture the process it is pretty obvious. I think without ever seeing one except in magazines I always assumed it worked by barely cutting into the sheet goods.

Thanks

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But???

Seeing this was called a scoring saw, I was starting to think it was just used to score the material and another saw actually did the final cutting. In comparison to a Grizzly sliding table saw with a separate scoring blade motor.

But now I see the second scoring blade mounted backwards to the main blade in picture 3 of the prior CL listing.

Thanks for the education.

Jon
Northern Michigan

·
bzguy
581 Posts
I operated a 10' bed SCMI slider for 2 years cutting panels for cabinet parts in a production shop.
This is an old model but still a dream machine if you do volume.
If fence is adjusted right it will square things up perfectly and cut uniformly without any tear-out.
I wish I could get it down here somehow at that price, worth every penny if it's intact.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts