Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was walking through Lowes today at lunch to pick up some stuff for my nephew. When I walked past the blind ordering area, they were cutting the table they had for books. I immediately headed over there & asked what they were going to do with the scrap piece. I was told the garbage. When I asked if I could have it, they sent me to talk with the store manager. He said I could have it for a $1 (liability if they gave it to me).

After I got it home, I had to straighten up the cut (they cut with jigsaw). It measures 1 1/8" x 4' x 34.5". Its MDF with laminate. My first thought was an outfeed table for the table saw, which I desperately need. But I also really need a workbench though I think this is a little too small for that. If I make the outfeed table, I'd need to figure out a way to make the legs so they'd be sturdy and collapsable so I could put up for storage.

So, anybody have any good simple ways top make the legs collapsable?

Mark

Attachments

·
John
3,028 Posts
I was walking through Lowes today at lunch to pick up some stuff for my nephew. When I walked past the blind ordering area, they were cutting the table they had for books. I immediately headed over there & asked what they were going to do with the scrap piece. I was told the garbage. When I asked if I could have it, they sent me to talk with the store manager. He said I could have it for a $1 (liability if they gave it to me).

After I got it home, I had to straighten up the cut (they cut with jigsaw). It measures 1 1/8" x 4' x 34.5". Its MDF with laminate. My first thought was an outfeed table for the table saw, which I desperately need. But I also really need a workbench though I think this is a little too small for that. If I make the outfeed table, I'd need to figure out a way to make the legs so they'd be sturdy and collapsable so I could put up for storage.

So, anybody have any good simple ways top make the legs collapsable?

Mark
Why not just use hinges? If the legs need to be longer than the table width, just angle them in some, when unfolded they will still end up where the hinge is. Recess a couple of fairly large rare earth magnets in the underside of the table and some large flat head screws in the legs to keep them folded up. ACE hardware has some fairly large magnets.
Good Luck:smile:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
You might check at HF (know this grates on some...) I've bought folding table legs there- reasonably priced.
Dave H

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The folding part to me is the easy part. My concern is them being strong and sturdy when the table is up.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
That folding table is a slick idea. Then you can drill some dog holes and have a work table as a side bonus. First thing you know you will find other uses for it also and it won't get folded up ever again! :)

Leg adjusters can be made by drilling a hole in the bottom, epoxy in a couple of nuts, add a bolt, washer and nut and VOILA!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
MT Stringer said:
....Then you can drill some dog holes and have a work table as a side bonus...
Absolutely!

That top is probably an 1 1/2" thick at the perimeter only.

Add a layer of 3/4" MDF where you plan to bore the dog holes.

Then if you want to take it a step further install one of these:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=66819&cat=1,41659

You'll want to thicken your top for the vise too. Attach the 3/4 here with screws and glue but keep the screws well clear of the channel you'll rout for the vise.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jharris2 said:
That top is probably an 1 1/2" thick at the perimeter only..
The top is 1 1/8" for the entire size. It may get some use as a "second" bench when necessary, but it won't get a vise.

I am "in the process" of building a 30"x60" workbench that will have a 2.25" top. I bought these toys for it today. They are old and super beefy 10"x4" Craftsman vises. They have the stop for use with dogs and they have the gravity release for sliding out. I was just going to buy an 8" Shop Fox basic vise but I bought these cheaper than I could get the SF for.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Niceee vicees!!!

The best option for sure.

My shop is in a two car garage.

Because of limited space I opted for an oversized dual purpose router table that includes the inset vise I recommended.

Not a true woodworking bench considering the hand tool aspect of the craft to be sure but it was my best option for now and has served me well.

Looking forward to a bench build thread from you when the time comes yes?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts