Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Wood is Good
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to match up some 3" scotia molding on a house I'm working on. It was a pretty unusual profile. After sifting through my various radius cutters for the shaper and finding nothing to do the trick, I turned to the table saw.

I had to down size the blade to 7 1/4", put the blade on a 30 deg. angle, and the run a fence at 34 deg. to get just the right results. Turned out a perfect match!

Took about 9 passes each to get through it.

The species is Spanish Cedar and has a 7 deg bevel on the top because it's going outside and will stand alone (nothing being applied above it) It gets primed and back primed, then 2 coats of SW Duration.

Here's some pics of the set up and the product.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
Very ingenious. However, that looks like a standard molding cutter blade as discussed in the thread "what is the name of this tool?"

George

·
where's my table saw?
29,191 Posts
Keep this up and you're liable....

....To get a very fine reputation as a craftsman/woodworker!:thumbsup: Oops, maybe it's too late you, already have one! As far as the moulding cutter having the same profile, maybe so, maybe not, can't tell from a photo, and if you don't have one, this shows great skill in creating the setup and final results. :yes: bill

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Way to go Jason. That gives a great feeling of accomplishment. The first time I made a dished pencil tray, I went through some hair pulling until I got it right. Back then there was no internet, or many books out that had woodworking techniques, or at least ones I knew about.

I just had it in my mind that it might be possible to do a cove cut on a TS with a 10" blade. Once I did it, I thought I invented something new. Little did I know...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts