Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been itching to work at home doing my own wood working stuff but not sure which way to turn. Is there anyone out there that is or has made an attempt to operate through one of those "work at Home" sites? or does any of you have any good info on getting started doing my own stuff at home? thanks:surrender:

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Most likely a scam. I work with wood at home for a living... but I have a sawmill and a woodshop, and am still broke :yes:, and will most likely stay that way or just a little better as long as I work really hard/smart:laughing:

If you are talking info packages offering to teach you how to make $120 hr working at home... the way to do that is sell worthless info packages on how to make money at home.

If it sounds too good to be true, it is.:thumbdown:

Ditto what pitbull asked, what kinda work do you want to do?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your post. I was thinking small stuff for now like bird house and feeders. Right now I Carve and have yet to sell anything either on my web page or ebay. I like carving Gnomes walking sticks santa and items whimsical.
Some of my stuff can been seen by searching for Nutmeg Designs.
about that $100+hr job i would think not to have anything to do with it. scam i would think. but i have heard of places that pay ok money for little items not to get rich but enough to pay bills. if anyone has heard of any such place please do tell. and thanks for looking and posting

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Do you carve cottonwood bark? Sounds like you are familiar with spirit carving. I am not a carver (no talent), but have good stock if a guy is interested.

EDIT: I posted before I checked out your site (nice work, by the way) You are more that familiar with spirit carving, you are good at it.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
I own a retail business (hate it)and then do woodworking in my shop at home. I make some decent money, but it is not real artistic stuff. Mostly custom furniture, cabinets built ins and stuff. Then I install and do light contracting.
I know a tremendously talented turner that makes amazing stuff, boxes, bowls ,pens etc. Always displaying stuff at shows and in his words..
You can't make any money working with wood.
Just do it cause you like it.
Fortunately for me , I like doing the stuff people like to pay for.
Good luck, you stuff looks amazing.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
It's 2"+ (that is of course the lobes) and they are 2 1/2"+ wide. I don't want you to get the impression I was trying to sell you anything, I was just showing those pieces off (they are sold anyway). I just pulled one yesterday that is 24" wide and 72" tall all one sheet...it's in the basement right now drying. I wash it which makes it plyable then I lay it on the basement floor to redry flat from the washing.

Like I said I not a carver, is that desirable ? I am new to that market, I just stumbled into it doing some cleanup around the mill. I put some on ebay and it seems to be selling OK. Go figure cottonwood lumber is nearly worthless, I can't give the stuff away so I don't saw it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i prefer bark with a thickness of 2.5" to 3" thicker the better and a width of 6"+. the lehgth is not as important. What has been your pricing for bark?

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
. What has been your pricing for bark?
I am still trying to figure that out, like I said I am new to the "bark" market that is why I didn't even know what was favored size wise. I just last week put some on ebay to see if it was even worth messing with. I put 4 auctions, 2 short 3 day auctions and 2 7 day auctions. 1 was small pieces (2"x3"x18") and they sold for $15.50 for a box of 5, so $3 a chunk. The other short auction was a piece 12"x48" like in the picture, it sold for $25 = $6.25 ft2. I still have 2 auctions going, and have bids and watchers, once they are finished I will compile the numbers.

I just put them on that auction place as a lark, and out of curiosity. I do that sometimes with a link to my site, I usually do far more side business than auctions that way . I did meet an interesting guy, a talented carver from Texas contacted me and we are working on all kinds of business. He is buying bark (it suits him, he mainly does micro carving with it) and other carving stock like blocks of curly maple, knot free red cedar and walnut, even one of my fishing lures. He is doing a little carving for me as well. He does huge full scale carving and stuff too.

So to answer your question, I am still basically clueless. I don't normally like to talk $ in an open forum, it's just not cool with me. But since I am curious, I will ask if those numbers I quoted are close to the real world price in your experience ? I am in the wood business, bark has always been "the wrapper" and I have never given it any thought. This bark was headed for a burn pile, until I remembered spirit carving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe your prices are right on. I bought two boxes 50lbs each for i thick 35.00 per box. this guys pics showed holding much larger items than i got. i was a little bummed about it. I think i have only used one or two items from it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts