Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today, I was about to call Grizzly and order the G0690 with mobile base. After tax and delivery, it would of come to about $2200. Just to make sure I didn't miss anything, I looked around and a Sawstop caught my eye. It was 3hp, 220v 30" fence and it was $2900. On top of that, Sawstop is running a promo for a free mobile base. One of the local stores had it in stock and I don't have to pay for delivery as they can just load it on my pick up. Price would of come out to $3,100. We are talking a $900 difference between Grizzly and Sawstop that has nearly identical specs.

Now I know for a fact I don't need a Sawstop (besides safety) and I think a Grizzly is more than I will ever need. But, I am looking far down the road. If something was to ever happen and I need to liquidate my tools. I think this is what separates Sawstop from the other manufactures. Sawstop resale value is absolutely ridiculous. There was a Sawstop on Craigslist and they guy basically sold it for MSRP and it was gone within the first hour. Only difference was it came with mobile base and the buyer saved on tax vs buying a new one. I also saw a Grizzly G0691 a few months ago with mobile base and the guy was asking $1,100. The ad was up for 2 weeks before it was sold. Half of what it originally sold for with tax and base.

I think I am set on the Sawstop.. Between resale value and the safety feature, would that be enough to convince you to get a Sawstop? Another bonus is I don't have to take a day off work to receive the Grizzly from freight. I can stop by and pickup the Sawstop immediately. I have a pickup and a ramp to slide the saw from the bed.

·
Registered
Bah humbug
3,935 Posts
You know for a fact you don't need a Sawstop? You only bought it for the resale and not the safety?

Funny......

·
Registered
2 Posts
neither :)

For such a pricepoint, I would suggest a sliding table saw.

HTH

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-10-5-HP-230V-Sliding-Table-Saw/G0623X

Earlier today, I was about to call Grizzly and order the G0690 with mobile base. After tax and delivery, it would of come to about $2200. Just to make sure I didn't miss anything, I looked around and a Sawstop caught my eye. It was 3hp, 220v 30" fence and it was $2900. On top of that, Sawstop is running a promo for a free mobile base. One of the local stores had it in stock and I don't have to pay for delivery as they can just load it on my pick up. Price would of come out to $3,100. We are talking a $900 difference between Grizzly and Sawstop that has nearly identical specs.

Now I know for a fact I don't need a Sawstop (besides safety) and I think a Grizzly is more than I will ever need. But, I am looking far down the road. If something was to ever happen and I need to liquidate my tools. I think this is what separates Sawstop from the other manufactures. Sawstop resale value is absolutely ridiculous. There was a Sawstop on Craigslist and they guy basically sold it for MSRP and it was gone within the first hour. Only difference was it came with mobile base and the buyer saved on tax vs buying a new one. I also saw a Grizzly G0691 a few months ago with mobile base and the guy was asking $1,100. The ad was up for 2 weeks before it was sold. Half of what it originally sold for with tax and base.

I think I am set on the Sawstop.. Between resale value and the safety feature, would that be enough to convince you to get a Sawstop? Another bonus is I don't have to take a day off work to receive the Grizzly from freight. I can stop by and pickup the Sawstop immediately. I have a pickup and a ramp to slide the saw from the bed.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Congratulations! I hope you enjoy building projects with your SawStop table saw as much as I enjoy mine. I was busy all day with mine yesterday, working on a project for Spouse.

Reminder: Owning a SawStop table saw is not a ticket to follow unsafe practices. SawStop includes a blade guard, riving knife, splitter, etc. for a reason. A SawStop can injure you with a kickback just as easily as any other table saw.

This post has helpful SawStop-related links:
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f24/sawstop-216113/#post2083181

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone

I am hoping to finish this cabinet project in the next week. Then I can clean up my garage and start setting up my new toys

I am actually more exited about the Laguna Cflux 1.5hp dust collector. Been using a shopvac with a separator. Its horrible. With this, I should be able to organize my tools better and create a healthier work environment.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why would you purchase anything for resale. That is like putting money in the bank at negative interest.

George
I think the notion I bought the Sawstop and for the purpose of selling it tomorrow at a loss is silly.

I am not a full time wood worker. I am just a hobbyist who likes nice toys. I have to consider everything and anything when making these purchases.

One of the things I have to consider is if I ever loose my job, what can I do to keep me afloat while trying to find a new job? Last thing I want is 10k worth of toys in my garage that I can't sell.

·
Registered
Bah humbug
3,935 Posts
I think the notion I bought the Sawstop and for the purpose of selling it tomorrow at a loss is silly.

I am not a full time wood worker. I am just a hobbyist who likes nice toys. I have to consider everything and anything when making these purchases.

One of the things I have to consider is if I ever loose my job, what can I do to keep me afloat while trying to find a new job? Last thing I want is 10k worth of toys in my garage that I can't sell.
You realize tools depreciate right and models change?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You realize tools depreciate right and models change?
As a DIYer/Hobbyist, I prefer to buy most of my tools used. Not sure if you ever tried to purchase a used Sawstop. I have, they don't exist. If you ever see one for sale and it is rare when you do see a used saw for sale, it sells quick. Not only does it sell quick, but nearly at MSRP.

We are not talking about a TV or a car here where a new model comes out annually. Since 2004, how many models have Sawstop discontinued? Look at Powermatic, when it comes to 3hp table saw they got the PM66 and the PM2000 and they been around since 1921. You can't buy a decent used PM66 for less than $1500 and the PM66 has been discontinued for a while now. Also consider how much was a new PM66 was 30 years ago? I will assume that Sawstop wont be changing models anytime now. If Sawstop does change their model after 10yrs, I would of gotten 10 yrs of use and still be able to sell it for 1/2 of MSRP 10 yrs from now.

Also, what separates Sawstop from other companies is that they control their price. No coupons, discounts can be applied. Sawstop don't ever go on sale. Jet, Laguna, Powermatic, Grizzly, Shop Fox, Delta all go on sale from 10-15%. I have seen Laguna and Jet sell at nearly 20% off. I haven't seen that with Sawstop.

·
Registered
Bah humbug
3,935 Posts
I wouldn't know much about all those saws. I'm a retired hobby woodworker....But carry on with the education...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not a fan of either but if I was picking one it would be the SS for the very reason that you gave. Resale on better tools does bring better money. But lot of people has the griz and like them but resale I would think is not as good as what the SS will bring. So if resale can make up the difference in price between the two if that day ever comes when you want to sell it then you can't go wrong. But either one I think will put a smile on your face for yrs to come,better be pictures or it never happened:)

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
[...]
Also, what separates Sawstop from other companies is that they control their price. No coupons, discounts can be applied. Sawstop don't ever go on sale. Jet, Laguna, Powermatic, Grizzly, Shop Fox, Delta all go on sale from 10-15%. I have seen Laguna and Jet sell at nearly 20% off. I haven't seen that with Sawstop.
Actually, most of them control prices, including Laguna and Jet. Ever notice how a sale for Laguna tools at Woodcraft is somehow matched at exactly the same time by Rockler? It is because Laguna decides when to put something on sale, and then they do it through all their distribution channels.

The way manufacturers enforce price conformance is through product shipments. If you are a retailer and you undercut the other retailers by selling a product below the "minimum suggested price", then you may not receive your full order of products the next time a shipment is due. Worse yet, the manufacturer may decide to stop doing business with you entirely. That "encouragement" (coercion?) has a way of ensuring price conformity among resellers.

Minimum suggested pricing can cause problems for retailers when they have products that customers do not want to buy. Retailers can get stuck with inventory that they cannot sell at artificially high minimum suggested prices.

That happened recently with SawStop, when they came out with their Jobsite Pro table saw last year. The Jobsite Pro was set at the same price point as the previous Jobsite saw model. The previous Jobsite model was discounted $100 to clear out remaining inventory. If you ask me, I would have much rather paid full price for a Jobsite Pro with its feature improvements, rather than buy an inferior Jobsite saw for $100 discount. I heard "urban legend" stories of retailers "playing games" to discourage customers from buying the Jobsite Pros over the older model in order to clear out the unwanted Jobsite saw inventory.

Sellers and manufacturers have ways to work through the issues. If a manufacturer gets to be too much of a pain, the retailer can decide to discontinue their product line in favor of a competitor. There isn't much choice with SawStop. They have an effective monopoly through their patents.

As you noted, SawStop does not offer discounts, unlike Laguna and Jet. SawStop has occasional sales where they include a free accessory such as an overarm dust collector or mobile base with a saw purchase. Giving free accessories is better than a price discount for SawStop, because the claimed "retail value" is higher than SawStop's actual costs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually, most of them control prices, including Laguna and Jet. Ever notice how a sale for Laguna tools at Woodcraft is somehow matched at exactly the same time by Rockler? It is because Laguna decides when to put something on sale, and then they do it through all their distribution channels.

The way manufacturers enforce price conformance is through product shipments. If you are a retailer and you undercut the other retailers by selling a product below the "minimum suggested price", then you may not receive your full order of products the next time a shipment is due. Worse yet, the manufacturer may decide to stop doing business with you entirely. That "encouragement" (coercion?) has a way of ensuring price conformity among resellers.

Minimum suggested pricing can cause problems for retailers when they have products that customers do not want to buy. Retailers can get stuck with inventory that they cannot sell at artificially high minimum suggested prices.

That happened recently with SawStop, when they came out with their Jobsite Pro table saw last year. The Jobsite Pro was set at the same price point as the previous Jobsite saw model. The previous Jobsite model was discounted $100 to clear out remaining inventory. If you ask me, I would have much rather paid full price for a Jobsite Pro with its feature improvements, rather than buy an inferior Jobsite saw for $100 discount. I heard "urban legend" stories of retailers "playing games" to discourage customers from buying the Jobsite Pros over the older model in order to clear out the unwanted Jobsite saw inventory.

Sellers and manufacturers have ways to work through the issues. If a manufacturer gets to be too much of a pain, the retailer can decide to discontinue their product line in favor of a competitor. There isn't much choice with SawStop. They have an effective monopoly through their patents.

As you noted, SawStop does not offer discounts, unlike Laguna and Jet. SawStop has occasional sales where they include a free accessory such as an overarm dust collector or mobile base with a saw purchase. Giving free accessories is better than a price discount for SawStop, because the claimed "retail value" is higher than SawStop's actual costs.
Festool stop doing business with Rockler because they allowed customers to use the 10% off coupon. However, Festool is coming back to Rockler this summer.

Speaking of Woodcraft. Worst customer service. The manager was cool, but the sales associate were aholes. Too good and too important to answer my questions. When they did answer my questions, they act like I was taking money out of their pocket. So I ran over to Rockler and bought it from them. The assistant manager was cool and she answer all my questions and made lots of suggestions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update update
A year after my purchase, I finally found the time to put my Sawstop and dust collector together and setup shop. Talk about procrastination. Anyways, my worse fear came true and I was released from my job. With gods blessing, I was able to find a new job with similar pay, closer to home, less stress and within a month.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I missed this thread when it was initially posted. If I had seen it I would have recommended against purchasing SawStop just for the potential resale value. Right now SawStop's do have a good resale value but that will be changing quickly as their patents will be expiring in August of this year. It's possible that they may get a year or two more if they try to tie things up in court with patent extensions, but eventually those patents will expire and SawStop will loose their "safety" monopoly in the table-saw market.

Once those patents expire I'd expect to see pretty much every other table saw manufacturer on the planet release their own safety models. Once that happens competition will kick in and drive the pricing down quite a bit and make this technology much more affordable for new and used units.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts