Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,
Just wondering what everybody does with their shavings. Is there any good use for them around the house? If you would use them for mulch, would that be an invitation to gormet dining for bugs?
Is there anything creative that you can do with them?

Thank you
Dick

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I burn mine. The garbage men won't take them and if I take them to the dump they charge me a commercial fee since they don't believe a non professional can produce that much sawdust.
I'm gambling burning because you have to have a burn permit and they don't want to give them out very easily. I noticed that all my neighbors burn small rubbish piles so I started doing it. No problem so far.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Also walnut is toxic to horse hooves. I just throw mine on the compost pile or save it for a friend who uses it to fill in low spots on his property.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I haven't tried it yet, but I've read that you can compress the sawdust and add melted wax to make good fire starters. A local farm also had a sign up a while back looking for sawdust for bedding.

Where I live the township has "woody yard waste" days where they pick up leaves, sticks, etc - so I'll usually dump my sawdust into a few collection bags and put it out. I figure the sticks and things get turned into sawdust anyway so what the heck. Only downside is they only do collections. In the summer and fall so I need to store the sawdust collected in the winter until spring.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Works great as mulch over new grass seed or to keep weeds down in the garden.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Do what this guy does. :laughing::laughing::laughing::blink::blink: Anybody want to tell me how you move a 250# bag of the stuff?????

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ya know....I was thinking of this very topic while working in the shop today. I am fortunate enough to be able to dump mine out back or give it to friends for chickens. It is also good for when the driveway gets icy.

What do you all do with your wood scraps? I give mine to my father and neighbor for kindling for wood furnaces. I have an outdoor wood boiler so I only light it once per year, what they all don't take I throw right in the boiler.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a ginseng farm as a side business/hobby (I have not attempted to sell anything yet). One of the biggest problems is slugs. Heard from an old timer that sawdust deters slugs cause it dries them out. So I put them on my ginseng beds out in the forest. It also helps to relocate the beds year after year. So far my loss to slugs is minimum but it does seem to stop the turkeys so I use my shotgun for that.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I give it to people with horse chickens goats. Any livestock as long as its not cedar its good bedding for those animals.
Hate to say but this isn't correct. Walnut is toxic to several animals but ERC is used in barns all around here. The sawmill I go to won't cut walnut because their chips go to local horse barns. Cedar shavings are regularly sold as bedding for animals.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hate to say but this isn't correct. Walnut is toxic to several animals but ERC is used in barns all around here. The sawmill I go to won't cut walnut because their chips go to local horse barns. Cedar shavings are regularly sold as bedding for animals.
Cedar shavings and fine dust do affect the respitory system of livestock and will kill chickens. I know for a fact, but you are welcome to your opinion. While it may not kill larger animals its still not the best choice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts