Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm in the middle of refinishing a oak hardwood floor in my rental property and I have a good amount of 1/16th gaps in between the boards. And a couple 1/8th gaps but not many. After sanding i have collected at least a gallon of super fine sanding dust and I have heard of a technique of making wood filler by mixing sawdust with glue. Have any of you ever tried this ? If so what kind of glue, what ratio, and did you add any water to make it more workable ? Thanks for any input.

· Registered
29,449 Posts
If I was going to fill gaps like that I would use soft putty. If the floor swells with the sawdust putty it will buckle.

Personally I don't care for sawdust putty. You end up getting a glue stain on the wood that is sometimes really hard to get rid of. Anyway I've always just used carpenters glue with the sawdust about 50/50 by volume. On a floor subject to getting wet I would probably use titebond III or another brand of waterproof exterior glue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.