Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Indeed. In the last few weeks I picked up a type 6 no 7, a type 9 no 4, and a type 11 no 3 all in decent shape and for a combined cost of well below that $141 imported P.O.S. Well, maybe it's not fair to assume that the new Sanley is a P.O.S. But I know that the other three are quality vintage tools made in the US at a time when we still took pride in producing good tools.

I'm exceedingly glad that I was steered towards vintage planes when I began to take interest in them.

·
7,222 Posts
That is a Made In England casting. The pattern around the tote, with the two lines coming out of the tote is the classic UK Stanley Bailey.

I have not seen any of the new Stanley's like this locally so I am not able to get any hint whether at the quality being are produced these days.

I think I read that some block planes are still made in the Stanley UK factory.

I would not like the plastic knob and tote. The first hand plane I purchased was a Record No. 5 back around late 90's. If I recall I paid $80 at the time. It also has plastic knob and tote. At the time I did not know better. Today I am not fond of these being plastic. I may eventually make wood replacements.

Grainger is not known for its low prices. Common that big companies get large discounts.

A vintage Stanley can be a better value, but only if the time aspect to restore is essentially free. I love seeing old tools brought back to a second life.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.