Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 7.5 hp 10 inch saw stop. Anyone have any experience with them? I'm replacing a powermatic model 66 which I've had for 11 years. It's been flawless and dependable. So I'm hoping this saw stop will be the same + safety features

·
Registered
994 Posts
OP may mean a 1.75hp SawStop. In any case, we have one installed in our furniture shop at the University I teach at. Other than the occasional mystery set-off it has been a finger saver several times, and I personally love using it over the huge Powermatic saw we also have.

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
OP may mean a 1.75hp SawStop. In any case, we have one installed in our furniture shop at the University I teach at. Other than the occasional mystery set-off it has been a finger saver several times, and I personally love using it over the huge Powermatic saw we also have.
No they ave a 7.5 HP 3phase SawStop

Attachments

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
Personally I like my SawStop although I had a rough time over the past two weeks. Rushing a job I was putting dado's in a board that had 18 gauge brads in it. I have hit them before and never tripped the saw. Regardless I thought it was clear. I missed the 23 ga brad that the sack dado grabbed and tore out. It hit the break and tripped it. That was a $200 mistake (mine so no reason to blame the saw) a few days later I was cutting using my increase miter urge with a sacrificial fence. Even though I cut several pieces almost exactly the same with no problem, that was not the case this time. It nicked the corner of the miter gauge costing me another $150.

On the brute side I have a new Freud industrial 80 tooth blade and Dado blade that is allot nicer then the two blade I trashed.:laughing:

Again both times were my fault because of rushing. No need to hate the saw.

I had to pry the 3/4" dado out the bake so no pictures there but here's one from the second trip.

Attachments

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Hey Richard,
Were you able to salvage the blade? I think that you may be able to save that blade. Maybe use a wood drift and a hammer to knock the break off of the blade???

How long were the 23 gauge pins? Seems difficult to see how one would cause a drop.

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
Hey Richard,
Were you able to salvage the blade? I think that you may be able to save that blade. Maybe use a wood drift and a hammer to knock the break off of the blade???

How long were the 23 gauge pins? Seems difficult to see how one would cause a drop.
It was 1" cuttinga nail won't trip a properly set up saw. However tha 1" pin hitting the brake and blade at the same time would

As for saving the blade. That setup it getting hung up in the shop. The dado both outside blades and the chippers had broken teeth bybthe time i separated it to grt them off. 3/4 dado and the brake on two different pivot points.

·
where's my table saw?
28,751 Posts
what does that include?

That was a $200 mistake (mine so no reason to blame the saw) a few days later I was cutting using my increase miter urge ...? with a sacrificial fence. Even though I cut several pieces almost exactly the same with no problem, that was not the case this time. It nicked the corner of the miter gauge costing me another $150.

On the brute side I have a new Freud industrial 80 tooth blade and Dado blade that is allot nicer then the two blade I trashed.:laughing:

Can you break those numbers down for us... Cartridges and blades and a new miter guage?

·
Registered
994 Posts
BTW, the sensor can be turned off if you are cutting something questionable. We turn it off when cutting any plastic as static can set off the brake.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have been saving for a new saw stop. play fund has not got there yet but im hoping for the beginning of next year. So congrats on the new saw.
Richard, I think if I had one of those blades that had tripped the brake I would make a clock out of it and hang it in the shop.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Just got a 7.5 hp 10 inch saw stop. Anyone have any experience with them? I'm replacing a powermatic model 66 which I've had for 11 years. It's been flawless and dependable. So I'm hoping this saw stop will be the same + safety features
we run the 5hp 3ph unit. i feel that the quality is very high. what i don't like is it pinches my hand between the handle and table, when changing blade elevation when the blade is tilted to 45 degrees.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My powermatic did the same pinch your referring. Trued up the saw stop worked on it for 6 hours or so and really like it. It's solid and well built. Total upgrade.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
No, but his neighbors loose power...they don't know why!!!

I'm also jealous....that's more than 4 of my saw motors!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I really wanted to see if it worked. Once is enough. I was already impressed with the saw. Now I'm thrilled with the safety features.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts