Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm re-toothing an old disston backsaw to 14tpi. Im maybe halfway through shaping the teeth and the brand new xxslim file made by nicholson is now dull on all three corners. Am I using too much pressure, Or is it normal to go through a couple files when you re-tooth. Are there better brands out there?

·
Registered
909 Posts
I've only sharpened a few saws, never toothed a plate, and used a Nicholson file, but I know the guys on TFWW and Lee Valley like Grobet saw files.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Never back up with a file. Pick it up to bring it back. Backing it up will dull it faster than anything else, other than maybe letting them rattle around loose in a toolbox. The Nicholson should do the retoothing just fine. There are better files, but for retoothing the Nicholson should do okay.

You don't have to bear down real hard. Lay a sheet of white printer paper behind the blade, and see what different pressure strokes make with the amount of shavings you get.

Use the whole file. I see a lot of people taking strokes about an inch long, but I usually buy full length files.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never back up with a file. Pick it up to bring it back. Backing it up will dull it faster than anything else, other than maybe letting them rattle around loose in a toolbox. The Nicholson should do the retoothing just fine. There are better files, but for retoothing the Nicholson should do okay.

You don't have to bear down real hard. Lay a sheet of white printer paper behind the blade, and see what different pressure strokes make with the amount of shavings you get.

Use the whole file. I see a lot of people taking strokes about an inch long, but I usually buy full length files.
I know not to drag it backwards, and i keep all my files in their own individual pockets, so i must be using too much pressure. The teeth on the corners are flattened, shiny, and useless now. I'll pick up some new ones for now and try less pressure.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Save your money on the Nicholsons and order some Grobet from Lee Valley or Amazon. Nicholson's are a lost cause.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have to order some grobet files, I picked up a new Nicholson from woodcraft last night and the same thing happened. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
When you file handsaws, you are lucky to get two saws sharpened with one file, more like 1 1/2. That's only taking one light stroke per tooth. Recutting teeth takes a lot more strokes, you could use up 3 or 4 files per saw doing that. It's been that way since I was taught by a master back in the 60's. The guy that taught me didn't complain about the files and he had been filing for many years. He did apologize for having to go up on prices because the files had gone up. Don't know if the Grobet files are significantly different, never used one. If you want a really sharp saw, you can't push files past their sharpness and they don't last that long.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Getting dull, and teeth breaking off like in Paul Sellers picture are two different things. If one just gets dull, it can be sharpened. It's not worth it if you just send one or two, or the shipping will be more than new files, but if you have a number of them, it pays off-especially with all the tales of file quality dropping these days. I'm glad I stocked up a long time ago.

http://www.boggstool.com/ They do rasps too.

Here's another company that lists prices. http://www.saveedge.com/resharpening.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts