Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I made off like a bandit this weekend, got a Disston 5 tpi rip saw. a Warranted Superior 12 tpi back saw, a Craftsman adjustable throat low angle block plane and a really nice layout compass for get ready.......$17.58!!! Anyhow I need to sharpen the back saw but I think I may need a special file because the teeth are very close together. Any advice is greatly appreicaited. I'll post pictures soon.

·
Registered
328 Posts
There are lots of videos on youtube. Some with different, and even odd, ways of doing different parts of the process. It's one of those things that's easy once you know how. Don't skip any of the steps, or parts of the process. The only shortcut is doing all of it correctly.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Anyone who wants to learn how to sharpen a saw should print that out and understand all the steps before you start.

I use wooden pieces much like that, but I drill the hole at the fleam angle I'm using, so I can bring that end of the file closer to the saw.

I lay a piece of wood behind the saw with lines drawn on it of the fleam angle I'm working on. It makes a good visual reference as you move along the saw without having to move anything but the file.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Anyone who wants to learn how to sharpen a saw should print that out and understand all the steps before you start.

I use wooden pieces much like that, but I drill the hole at the fleam angle I'm using, so I can bring that end of the file closer to the saw.

I lay a piece of wood behind the saw with lines drawn on it of the fleam angle I'm working on. It makes a good visual reference as you move along the saw without having to move anything but the file.
+1 I had to read through it about 10 times before I fully understood all the steps/angles/terms. I keep a copy in my toolbox as a reference as I don't sharpen often enough for it to be second nature.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts