Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone can help with this.
I recently came across two saws that have an indent and small projection on the top of the blade as shown in the attached pic.
Is that some sort of mitre box stop? If not what is the function and what were these saws used for?
Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
David
4,983 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Jim! Add your location to your profile, please. We do like photos so show us your shop, tools, projects, etc. whenever you're ready. What sort of woodworking are you planning or doing?

I'm not a big hand tool user but there are plenty here who are, so you should start getting responses soon.

David

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
That is a $64,000 question, nobody actually seems to know the answer, though there are lots of theories, such as:

According to Disston's Lumberman Handbook: “The 'nib' near the end of a hand saw has no practical use whatever, it merely serves to break the straight line of the back of the blade and is an ornamentation only.”

However this is often disputed with the argument that they simply copied another manufacturer that used it for a reason.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For the sake of such amazing information, I wanted to register on the forum. I never saw about such features at the knives.

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
1,869 Posts
Probably someone at Diston foresaw (pun intended) the internet and decided to create some weird little part just to drive people crazy, the early form of trolling.. Other than that I have nothing..

·
where's my table saw?
27,850 Posts
I didn't think so .....

Not "decorative", but functional. :surprise2:

After looking at it again, I thought is would be a perfect place to locate a pencil tip. I wondered if it was 4" in from the end, a common size for framing lumber back in the day. Rather, I found this link which uses it from the opposite end and that made more sense:
https://paulsellers.com/2014/07/questions-answered-why-nibs-on-old-handsaws/
:smile2:

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Not "decorative", but functional. :surprise2:

After looking at it again, I thought is would be a perfect place to locate a pencil tip. I wondered if it was 4" in from the end, a common size for framing lumber back in the day. Rather, I found this link which uses it from the opposite end and that made more sense:
https://paulsellers.com/2014/07/questions-answered-why-nibs-on-old-handsaws/
:smile2:
Nothing like dragging saw teeth over a nicely finished wood face. :smile2:

·
where's my table saw?
27,850 Posts
You would do that?

Nothing like dragging saw teeth over a nicely finished wood face. :smile2:

That would never occur to me. My WAG is that if he's marking a line to cut, he's not finished .....yet.
:vs_cool:
And if he doesn't want to leave any scratches, just tip the plane of the blade so the teeth won't touch.... probably less than 1 degree.

:vs_OMG:
The idea shown still makes way more sense than a costly "decoration" that serves NO purpose.
>:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts