Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
How do you guys dispose of your sawdust? I live in a city so I can't burn it. I've only planed a few boards and haven't built that much but I already have 2 garbage bags full. I've been dumping buckets into my garden but I'm going to run out of space soon.
We have a yard waste service. I put it in with the grass clippings, etc. I think its like $20 for three months of service.

·
Registered
789 Posts
You should see the pile from my sawmill after a day of sawing! After a few years, it kind of goes away.....actually, when people know I have been milling, they come and gather up the sawdust...everything but the Black Walnut. Cedar from the woodshop is not a problem either....people grab it as well....all other dust goes in with the trash...at least it is biodegradable.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
i sell osage sawdust by the 5- 50 lb bag depending on how much I have whenever she calls for more of it, to a lady who repackages it and sells it by the ounce. Her clients use it to make natural dyes out of. She gets a pretty penny for it. So do I. :thumbsup:

My wife keeps the larger Eastern Red Cedar chips that go into the first stage of the dust collection system for making potpourri (sp?) bags. The powdery sawdust from my shop gets spread out in front of my shop and walk-thru door to keep the mud off my shoes befor i enter the shop.
I drive up to a landing pad of sawdust! One day when the mud heads south, I will pour some aprons and solve that once and for all.

Use your imagination. You'll find a use for it don't burn it or send it to the dump.:no: Stuff some big pillow cases with it and sell them for cheap pet beds? Just an idea that hit me this second.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I usually soak mine in diesel fuel and then pile slabs on top of that and burn them........:icon_wink: :icon_wink: :icon_wink:

Small enough to be called a "Campfire" :laughing: :laughing:

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Steve I'm going to turn you in the the GWP (Greenie Weenie Police)! Burning all that potential energy and polluting the ozone, wantonly, almost single-handedly creating a crescendo of global warming with your wreckless and licentious abandon!

What did I just say? :blink: :eek: :laughing:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Here in Delaware, anytime after Labor and before Memorial Day, we can burn branches, etc (no leaves) BUT...I can't burn waste lumber. After speaking with the agency about it, it goes like this. If I cut down a maple tree, I can burn it, in its entirety. If I make a few boards from it, I'm not allowed to burn the boards.
I often ponder this when I'm behind some dump truck or tractor trailer and I can't see my hood during his shifting process.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would think if you call the folks you have contracted to pick up your trash (or City Hall if your city picks it up) they can tell you what to do with it.

Know anyone with horses? They use sawdust in the stalls for the horses. Worth a shot.

In St. Louis City, so long as it's in the dumpster, they'll take it. I dump my dust in the city dumpster along with the rest of the household trash. City doesn't mind, but the neighbors kind of do. So I'll dump it after 9:00pm the night before the trucks come.

Tom

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was about to suggest that, too. However, there shouldn't be any walnut in there. Messes with their lungs or something. Just what I've heard.
You'd think I'd take my own advise since Grant's Farm is like 2 or 3 miles from my house. :blink: That would be fun to say "See those Clysdales... They poop on my sawdust." :laughing:

Walnut bad... Good to know. Thanks!

Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts