Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
John
3,028 Posts
Most resharpeners can replace teeth. At a $1 or so per tooth it's not usually worth it on a Skil saw (7¼") it's not usually worth it. If it's an OEM blade, it definately isn't worth it. :smile:

·
7,222 Posts
+1 with JSchaben. Possible to replace, but perhaps not cost effective, sad to say. The cost of postage to and from the sharpening service, in addition to the replacement cost of the broken tooth is likely more than a new blade.

I had a DeWalt circular saw break a tooth. I only used it perhaps a handful of times, so not much use. All it takes is either an internal crack in the carbide, a really hard knot, or just Murphy.

I noticed my circular saw cuts had a bad surface. I then checked the blade and found the bad tooth. I replaced the blade with a better blade, and one which had a thinner kerf, so I can use in my table saw when I need to minimize waste for some of my more expensive boards.

I cut a lot of strips from my stock to make decorative boards.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only noticed the missing teeth when I was measuring the distance between the blade and outside edge so I knew where to put the straight edge for my cuts. Probably woulda made a mess of the plywood if I didn't change the blade first.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Back when I was doing a lot of remodeling, I broke carbide teeth all the time.
I did a skylight install on an old house with sheathing boards and broke every tooth but one before it smoked so bad, I threw it out.
Just get a new blade.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Buy a new blade. Throw the old one away. It's dangerous. You don't want flying teeth spitting out at 100 MPH and injuring you or your family.

·
Senior junior member
546 Posts
I used my last Freud blade until it had several damaged, and a few missing, teeth. The cost of the repair would have been more than the cost of a new blade, so...

·
Registered
902 Posts
If one tooth has been broken , another one would follow. Missing tooth blade would give you inaccurate cuts and may
cause injuries. Fixing saw blade with missing tooth is not an ideal solution to this kind of problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts