Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im soon gonna be running two table saws. A dedicated ripper and a dedicated cross cut. Ive always used combination blades. Now I want task specific blades. I much prefer Freud Diablo blades as I have had good luck with them. I was searching around on Amazon and there are so many to choose from. I cant see the differnces so help me out please.

For a ripper, Ive looked at the D1024X, D1024XC and the LU87. I know the last one isnt a Diablo but rather the industrial line. These are all pretty close in price.

These are all 24 tooth blades. I was considering a glue line rip blade but have read they arnt good for material over 1" thick.

I dont even know where to begin on a cross cut blade.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I use a lm75 thin kerf glue line rip in thicknesses up to 3 inches in oak, with excellent results.

I have a d1060x that I got thrown in on a deal with a radial arm saw I bought, since it was the wrong blade for the radial arm saw it's got put into use on the table saw and I'm mostly happy with it. It seems to resonate a bit more than the Freud blades I'm used to, but it still performs very good with very smooth cuts.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
If I didn't have the free diablo blade, I'd either go with the lu88 or lu74, depending on the usual thickness of my work.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
The Diablo blades are Freud, but the Industrial line has more carbide, larger selection, and sometimes more sophisticated anti-noise slots. The LU87 has a flat top grind (FTG) vs the ATB grind of the D1024. FTG is more efficient and leaves a truly flat bottom. ATB adds some versatility for crosscuts that you won't need. I'd take the LU87.

The LU88 (ATB) is a solid crosscut performer that's more versatile and a bit more aggressive (15° hook) than most 80T crosscut blades. The LU74/LU85 (ATB) will leave a cleaner cut....the LU79/LU80 (Hi-ATB) will leave the cleanest cut (a super choice for plywoods too). You give up some efficiency and edge life in favor of cleaner cuts, but it shouldn't be a concern for a hobbyist.

You might consider the Infinity 010-124, and 010-060 or 010-080 too. Also made in Italy.

·
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So all this time Ive been a Diablo man, I never realize you could step up to the Industrial line for just a few bucks more if you order from Amazon.

I just put a LU 87 and a LU 88 in my shopping cart. Im gonna sleep on it and do some more reading before I decide for sure but thats probably what Ill end up with. Thanks for the help guys!

Oh and if you havnt figured out, I opted to stay with the two Craftsman saws rather than go for a cabinet saw. Ive just put too much time and thought into this project allready to bail on it now and it will be exactly what I want when its done!:thumbsup:

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
For what it's worth....I think the Freud blades are a bit quieter and smoother than the diablos.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
The LU88 was one of my favorites with my smaller saws. One nice thing about the LU88....even though it's a crosscut blade, that 15° hook helps it rip very cleanly in materials to ~ 5/4", so it's pretty versatile....great for times when you need a cleaner rip cut than a 24T will give.

·
novice wood hacker
514 Posts
So all this time Ive been a Diablo man, I never realize you could step up to the Industrial line for just a few bucks more if you order from Amazon.

I just put a LU 87 and a LU 88 in my shopping cart. Im gonna sleep on it and do some more reading before I decide for sure but thats probably what Ill end up with. Thanks for the help guys!

Oh and if you havnt figured out, I opted to stay with the two Craftsman saws rather than go for a cabinet saw. Ive just put too much time and thought into this project allready to bail on it now and it will be exactly what I want when its done!:thumbsup:
I think you'll be very happy with those blades.

·
bzguy
581 Posts
If you need a PERFECT crosscut, try this trick.
Lower your blade, pretty much any sharp blade to around a 1/16" above table and it will score perfectly since the blade is coming straight at the wood and not down.
Raise the blade to normal height and re-cut.
I've had panels that need to be perfect 2 sides, this works great without buying a multi-thousand dollar slider.

·
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you'll be very happy with those blades.
I hope so. I waited too long to place my order though. I put everything I wanted in my cart yesterday on Amazon. Today, when I was satisfied I had made the right decision, I went through the process of actually making the purchase. I didnt even realize untill Amazon sent me my confirmation the the LU87 had sold out at the vender I had originally selected. Theres several more listed but at a much higher price. I would think Amazon would have notified me in check out that I was trying to buy something that wasnt available rather than just letting me realize that I wasnt paying for it then. Now I have to go place another order. I didnt catch it because my wife also ordered a couple new pans for her cookware set and I didnt pay any attention to how much it cost, I just clicked go!

·
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay its a done deal. I didnt get them for as cheap as I initially thought I was going to but I have an LU87 and LU88 on order!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Okay its a done deal. I didnt get them for as cheap as I initially thought I was going to but I have an LU87 and LU88 on order!:thumbsup:
If they work well for you, you'll forget about the few extra bucks in short order. :thumbsup: Keep them clean, and they should perform well for a good long time.

·
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If they work well for you, you'll forget about the few extra bucks in short order. :thumbsup: Keep them clean, and they should perform well for a good long time.
Yeah they still wernt over priced. I paid roughly 45 bucks a piece for em so Im not complaining. The LU87 that sold out was $34 though.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Yeah they still wernt over priced. I paid roughly 45 bucks a piece for em so Im not complaining. The LU87 that sold out was $34 though.
You should find that the LU88 cuts cleaner than a 40T Forrest WWII, and that the LU87 rips faster and easier in 2" material, so money well invested IMO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts