Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
I'm neither artist nor art critic. I prefer Savannah to Cheri. The classical style of Cheri's legs don't fit the overall contemporary design. I do see an image of a ballet dancer en pointe, which is interesting. But they look heavy compared to the lightness and space of the whole piece

Savannah's zebra legs fit the overall look.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. How is the glass top held in place?

gmc
Normally a silicon pad is stuck on top of each leg to both cover the bolt head that holds the top and bottom part of each leg to the wood top, as well as provide a friction point to keep the glass from sliding. The glass is 2" less wide and 2" less long than the wood top to reduce the chance of bumping the glass. There is also an alignment pin between the leg parts to keep them aligned. The tempered glass is 3/8" thick and heavier than the wood base. It won't move relative to the base without lifting it up.
4D

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm neither artist nor art critic. I prefer Savannah to Cheri. The classical style of Cheri's legs don't fit the overall contemporary design. I do see an image of a ballet dancer en pointe, which is interesting. But they look heavy compared to the lightness and space of the whole piece

Savannah's zebra legs fit the overall look.
Thanks for your input gj12us. I generally agree and have always seen calf and heel in that leg design. How well each version looks alone is influenced by what might be on or below the glass top. The maple one I made for my mother-in-law and she always kept some seasonal decoration under the glass in the center area.
4D

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
Normally a silicon pad is stuck on top of each leg to both cover the bolt head that holds the top and bottom part of each leg to the wood top, as well as provide a friction point to keep the glass from sliding. The glass is 2" less wide and 2" less long than the wood top to reduce the chance of bumping the glass. There is also an alignment pin between the leg parts to keep them aligned. The tempered glass is 3/8" thick and heavier than the wood base. It won't move relative to the base without lifting it up.
4D
That sounds like it will work as long as there are no small kids in the family.

gmc

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sounds like it will work as long as there are no small kids in the family.

gmc
No worry about that. I live alone and have no kids. Little chance that any of my grand nieces or nephews might stop by.
I normally wouldn't use glass but the piece shown was free. It used to be shelving for a store that closed down that was owned by the wife of a co-worker of mine. The tables came about only as something I could use the glass shelves for.
4D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts