Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else behind in making gifts? I had the intention of making differant versions of the same design of a wall mounted hall mirror/keychain holder. Ten to be exact but on Thanksgiving I tore my ACL in my knee and needless to say I possibly could get 3 maybe 5 ready in time. So how do I determine who gets one?:sweatdrop:

·
Cabinetmaker
646 Posts
Formula: bout the only thing I can think of that will NOT get somebody upset and KEEP you alive:laughing:. Make one, take a picture, make 10 copies give em with a card telling all that this is what they are getting, slightly different for each person as soon as your health permits.:yes:
Merry Christmas
JackM

·
Registered
714 Posts
For once, I am pretty much on top of the gift making. That rarely happens, some years nothing gets made.
I did production runs of some novelty wine holders and some walnut boxes with purpleheart accents. Because I didn't feel like messing with the spray setup, all these were done with BLO and wiping varnish regiment. I have three more coats of poly for the boxes, everything gets scrubbed with wax and delivery is scheduled for December 24th.
How to figure who gets what? Good luck!
Sorry to hear about the knee. I had arthoscopic meniscus repair done 2 years ago, then staph infection set in and I'm still not right. Whatever you do...don't push too hard.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Skymaster,that's a good idea and I will do so.
Rob,I guess luckily I have no damage to the miniscus but I will be having the ACL repaired. I feel a little at ease with it as the surgeon does many for the Texas Rangers and Dallas Stars so he must know sumpin'

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
I made some wine holders that me and the boys were supposed to make TOGETHER but they both had alot going on to be honest, so I just ended up making some on my own and giving them to my mom and sister for their gifts, to give away to their friends as gifts. :icon_wink:
Rob (our Rob here on WWT) gave me the idea and I just played around with sizes and angles and came up with a different one each time. I ended up making 12 of them all out of Bois D' Arc (Osage) and ERC.
Here's some of them. . . . thanks for the idea Rob!

Attachments

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hey!!! Great job! I'm glad you were able to make some. I made 9 myself, all from quilted maple. It's about as easy as it gets...it uses up some scrap wood...people love 'em.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Now maybe since I am not a wine drinker, tell me what is the point? It holds the one bottle correctly, and that is it? I really am curious...I think they look awsome, I am just wondering what the actual function is?

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
I am just wondering what the actual function is?
The function for the wine drinker is to have their favorite bottle of wine look purdy for a little while before they come home from a hard day and polish it off. And to have as a conversation piece. Wine drinkers, as a whole, are generally more concerned with form that function. :icon_wink:

Now for the woodworker, the function is to line the wallet with a little "beer" money from their wine accessory sales. :blink:
Because as a general rule, woodworkers tend to be beer guys I think. Me, even though I was generally a whiskey guzzler in my backslidden days, I did enjoy sipping wine while woodworking for some reason.

Now that I no longer partake except too many diet Vanilla Pepsi's (addicted) and diet A&W root beer, the function was to give them away as presents to my mom (who doesn't drink) for her to give as gifts to her friends (whho don't drink but who are giving them to their kids who do) and to my sister who still sips the fremented grape juice on aocasion and who, being a principal cog at The State Bar of Texas, has PLENTY of co-workers who imbibe in all manner of spirits 0- dontchya think? :laughing:

Hope that clears up the necessity to make wine holders.

Why you making cedar chests? And where's the dern pictures!?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nice work Tex. Do those holders only work with one size bottle, probably not now that I think about it?

Formula, how did you tear the ACL? I tore mine in '97, actually in Longview, Tx. Fixed pretty well, but sometimes I can tell it's still not quite right--just a little weakness in my hamstring where they stole some "material" to fix the ACL.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Now maybe since I am not a wine drinker, tell me what is the point? It holds the one bottle correctly, and that is it? I really am curious...I think they look awsome, I am just wondering what the actual function is?
Hey, jo
your a mod here too huh? king of crown here.

I was wondering the same thing. It would be really cool if it could poor the wine for you like there was a counter balance that would make up for the wine that was being used.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Depending on how wide you make the base and what angle you choose you would be suprised how wide a range they will accomodate. But as Jay says they are more form than function; most people use them I believe to hold that bottle of reserve they want to show off but will only drink on special occassions and immdeidately replace it with another reserve.
All the more reason to sel them 3 different models. :yes:

I do have a really cool idea for them next year. I 'll wait til then to show ya; I'll tell Rob in November so he can use it too if he wants.:icon_wink:

·
Registered
789 Posts
Someday, I will tell you guys why I don't drink wine...the act of sniffing an open bottle makes me remember a night 30 years ago...and well....I bet you get the picture.

I am going to work on the chests this evening....and see what my uddy bill has been doing...bless him, he tries, but his sanding with the oscillating sander last night makes me think I will be making some new pieces tonight.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Formula, how did you tear the ACL? I tore mine in '97, actually in Longview, Tx. Fixed pretty well, but sometimes I can tell it's still not quite right--just a little weakness in my hamstring where they stole some "material" to fix the ACL.[/quote]

I was jumping a fence hastily trying to save my young cat from a dog. I landed awkwardly and there it went. I did however save the puss as he ran up a tree while I was left there to deal with the dog on one leg:cursing:

·
Registered
714 Posts
I was jumping a fence hastily trying to save my young cat from a dog. I landed awkwardly and there it went. I did however save the puss as he ran up a tree while I was left there to deal with the dog on one leg
I hate it when that happens!

·
Registered
789 Posts
So, do you guys work besides mod, or just this all day?
You are not serious, are you? Moderating is a for the most part thankless thing we do, just being helpful to the guy (Nathan) who operates the forums. I don't watch a lot of tv, and I am up early...so I'm on the computer....evenings are the same, but I do not take away from my own work schedule. If the logs showed actual time online, it would be much, and some guys look like they are on all the time, since their computers are on dsl....you see me on early, sometimes around noon if I am home for dinner, I check my e-mail....bad weather has me inside doing paperwork or CAD on the computer...and I may be off surfing, since I never log out of any of the forums, it shows me here.

How you do this King, is just volunteer.:laughing:

What I do most days, all days, is run my construction company...here in a few minutes, I will be out the door to finish installing an overhead door, and tie up details on a job site.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
In the shop, I have the computer set up on an air dried flat sawn loblolly flitch with a live edge that serves as my chainsaw bench/computer bench. Sometimes when I walk by I hit refresh. Sometimes I can avoid cruising for 5 - 10 minutes sometimes not. Sometimes I type a response to something or post a question or coment sometimes not.
I have tried to avoid these online addictions but have been, on the whole, wholly unsuccessful and I make no excuses. :icon_wink:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts