Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a sandstar 36 inch wide belt sander for virtually free. The original owner was strange with WAY more money than sense. When he bought it new he got an extra solid roller and four of the rubber coated ones. he decided he wanted to change out the electric eyes for tracking. According to the manual the one on the right is a limit switch that shuts everything down if the belt gets to far right. He did not get anything hooked up before he died. Also i dont know if the electric eyes i have are the original ones or not. Basically if anyone can help me out on the wiring issues it would be greatly appreciated. My phone is 417 226 4865 cell 479 903 3005:yes:

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Just an opinion here.......don't get too excited.

A widebelt sander is not a pce of equipment for anyone on a "budget".Kind of like a boat....if you gotta ask,you probably can't afford it sort of thing.A 36 is going to #1,really spin your electrical meter.#2,more than likely cause a dust collection problem.#3 they consume air....well,you did say electronic belt tracking.

Hire an electrician.Find one who's working in the industry and knows "controls".He will be worth the money if he knows his "stuff".Good luck,they're really nice for folks that have work for them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got partially lucky. The widow told me that the original eyes were disposed of. I stopped by an electrical supply house and found a customer who retired from working on con trolls and in about ten minutes he showed me how to hook everything up. the only thing left is to figure out why the motor wont start and I have a neighbor who is also retired and worked all his time setting up larger motors. im not a dummy by any means but I have good common sense which helps by looking at the total picture and trying to figure out how it will work..I know it will use lots of power but when we wired my shop everything was overkill so im not worried. My main breaker box is ten feet from the power pole with a transformer right there so we are not worried about a huge voltage problem:yes:

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Oh heck yeah,you get that thing properly wired and hooked up to a big honkin dust collector and you will love it.Best of luck,and please...check back with more progress.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sander

Oh heck yeah,you get that thing properly wired and hooked up to a big honkin dust collector and you will love it.Best of luck,and please...check back with more progress.
we are gaining. After fighting the belt tracking we discovered a bearing was bad on one end of the outfeed drum. after replacing that it now holds .The big thing is figuring out how the right side limit switch ties into the power. By cobbling a piece to hold the magnetic switch closed the motor starts right up and everything seems to work. Have now discovered one bushing on the table belt roller is also shot. Lots of little things but nothing major. Boy it really makes the dust and is almost dead on for width thickness

1 - 5 of 5 Posts