Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Mistress of the Uterus
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The items I make need a lot of sanding for shaping purposes as well as for smoothing--I generally start with a 50 grit (is that how you say it?) and work my way to 300, then 0000 steel wool. I use 5 or 6 different grits. Is this overkill, or the right way? Is going from 300 to the 0000 wool to big a leap in grit? I sand by hand, BTW.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's hard to give you input or suggestions without knowing what you are making or what finish you are looking to achieve. Different woods and different finishes really impact the decisions you need to make in reference to sanding. I make cabinets and bookcases and usually can start with 120, skip grit and finish at 240. I get into some really fine sanding on the finish side, depending on the luster or polish I need.

·
Mistress of the Uterus
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am making hair forks like this:
DSCF3198.jpg

I would like a very smooth, silky finish that won't be a problem when exposed to a little moisture (sometime I put my hair up still wet.)

As for a finish, I have tried shellac after a lot of sanding, and it's too heavy looking. I don't need serious shine, but lustre would be good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts