Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone in our group ever thought about building a table for sanding projects with a downflow air system? I am thinking I saw one somewhere, and of coursem don't remember where. I hate wearing a dust mask..so I am thinking about building one...maybe use a furnace blower and filter...easy to shake out...thoughts guys?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've been thinking about one myself. I seem to remember a Wood Magazine project maybe a couple of years ago where they built one. I think they used 1/4 pegboard for the top with the vac. attachment in the bottom. I'll look around and see if I can come up with it. I just ordered a Pro 2000 Oneida 5 hp collector for the shop. Been long overdue:yes: :yes: :yes: A sanding table will be one of the first projects......

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Yea, I've thought about building one and even thought about buying one but I'm very rarely sanding in one place. I'm usually on the job or sanding something so large a sanding table wouldn't work. I usually will have a vac hooked to the sander though.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
I made one from memroy; had seen the plans in a mag one year, then a year or two later when I got around to it couldn't find the mag so just went at it. They are a breeze to build and they work great. Plenty of plans online just follow the directions and make your own you will never sand small projects without it.
Not just because it sucks the powdery nusciance away from you but because it helps hold the piece too.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Without looking hard, it would appear to be a good plan to use a 4x8 sheet of melamine board, and drill 3/4 inch holes in a patern....or whatever, and then just box it underneath and hook it to the dust collector. Then it can double as a work table. Just a positive downdraft would be all that is needed....thanks guys for the inspiration....

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
3/4" are way too big. Unless you have a 10,000CFM industrial collector.

Lots and lost of 1/8" - 1/4" holes is what you want. And I used a 1/8" rubber mat over the 1/2" plywood so the work piece does not slide all over place like it will on say, melamine. And also so it won't scar the side that is in contact with that hard surface.
I have access to Fine Woodworking's online magazine that regular sunbscribers don't get. If you want i will search the archives for a plan. I'm sure they have one. I'm also sure that being FW it will be a primo plan. Might look for myself I want a bigger one.

Edit: Wow guys check this link out. I love his idea to make your router table a downdraft table. Awesome idea.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I made one which measures around 24 x 48. It uses a squirrel cage blower. I used peg board for the top and it takes 4 filters. Works great and keeps the shop a little cooler in the summer.
My plans were from Shop Notes or Woodsmith...years and years ago.
Keeps the shop pretty clear of airborne dust while using the RAS or TS.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What i will do, I think, Is pull my Machinery's handbook out of hiding, and calculate the draw on the 4 inch pipe my dust collector has, increase it by a 1/3, and then calculate the area of the holes and how many I can have, since they actually would only need to be on the peremeter....a 4 inch pipe has about 12+ sq/inches, so several 1/2 inch holes could work.

You have a picture of your creation Rob?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts