Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Part of what sucks is that I'm building 3 end tables to match my coffee table. It's 12 legs, 12 stringers, and 42 spindles..... It's just so mundane.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My problem with sanding is that I'm too cheap to throw sandpaper away. Ill continuously use the same piece knowing that if I just grabbed another one it would go way faster. That and dust....

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
I have to say I'm right there with ya brother!
Until I wised up and bought a Jet 16-32, best investment since..
oh yeah! that Grizzly spiral cutter planer.
Seriously though, I keep smiling to myself has I run wood thru that
drum sander. Still have to hand sand but not nearly as much. :thumbsup:

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got a new dewalt low profile....its a good sander but its boring....

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Try to think positive Ryan. Whenever I have to spend several hours sanding, I try to tell myself that no one else would put in this type of effort, thus making me feel like a bada**.

Granted, it may not be true, and I'm definitely not a BA, but it makes the task a lot more manageable... I'll take a day of sanding in the shop over a day of my real job anytime!

·
TheCosmo
10 Posts
Sanding is a pain... As I'm gaining skill with my smoother and scrapper planes and the card scrapper, I'm doing a lot less sanding and I think the results are superior. I doubt that I'm saving much time but the time spent is more enjoyable. The one area that I'm having the most difficulty with are pieces that are rounded. I still wind up using sandpaper on round and curved surfaces. When the piece is assembled and finished I can easily see the difference with the scraped surfaces looking much better.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm perfectly happy with the finish I the pieces...and I doubt scraping 4 sides of 42 spindles would be much quicker. I just hate repetitive tasks....

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
sanding is not my favorite woodworking task. It is made more pleasant by minimizing the freeborn dust. I have all my sanders piped into my shop vac or DC and wear a respirator. I try to get as much sanding as I can done at one time, work quickly and carefully to get through it as fast as I can.

Sometimes I take a vacation from sanding by building a piece without sanding, just hand planes, shaves and scrapers. Or try something "rustic" and unsanded.

I think about sanding while I am building a project and use methods to minimize the procedure. For example, I will sand as many components as I can prior to assembly because it is far easier and faster. Keeping both your power and hand tools sharp also minimizes sanding.

Also, use good quality sandpaper. The ceramic stuff cuts like all getout and cuts your time way down. When it wears down, grab a fresh piece. If I can save an hour of sanding time that's worth a few sheets of sandpaper.

Bret

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
I love sanding as well.

Whether we're putting the final touches on a custom *recurve bow handle....or blasting through a commercial cabinet build....sanding,means it's getting close to "PAY ME".

*Custom bows.....Have sanded so many risers that can tell blindfolded,by just runnin my hands over a riser whether it's commercial or a one-off,same with a rifle stock.It is exactly the same skillset an experienced auto body man has when runnin a hand over some bodywork.They can close their eyes and tell whether it's "straight" or not.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
sawdustfactory said:
Get good with a hand plane and/or a card scraper and you won't need to sand.
Last time we spoke of planes and scrapers it didn't get too much response. I cringed when someone posted "start sanding with 60 grit". Ugh!

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
ryan50hrl said:
I just got a new dewalt low profile....its a good sander but its boring....
I have the same sander. It got really good reviews. I like it a lot as ROS go.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts