Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am turning a bowl out of pine & having trouble with tear out. I can get rid of most but can't seem to sand out all to a smooth finish. Any solutitions?

·
Registered
26,857 Posts
I am turning a bowl out of pine & having trouble with tear out. I can get rid of most but can't seem to sand out all to a smooth finish. Any solutitions?
Usually it's better on a lathe to sharpen your tools and clean the tear out with very light cuts and then sand. If that isn't an option you might fill the tear out with wood putty or just sand it out with coarse sandpaper.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pine working can be tricky because pine is less dense than many other materials you are used to; usually when you get the angle of the chisel just right the bevel rubs on the wood as the cutting edge shaves material off, that should help you with the tearouts...

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Pine is like any other conifer= the wood anatomy is not as well stuck together as you might find in the angiosperm hard woods. I carve mostly western red cedar, yellow cedar, birch and some pine. I see tear-out in every one of them.

To get the finish sanding done, you should consider some sort of wood sealer = to bind the surface wood cells together for stability from really small cracks = tearouts. I don't have any suggestions.
I've used white PVA glue diluted 10% with water ( 9+1). It dries clear and a little 400 grit makes it nearly invisible, provided that the carving is to get some acrylic paint.
In carving, a delicate honing of the tool edge and some very light passes is about the best that I can do. Pretty much what Steve Neul is recommending in Post #2.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Persevere with the pine.
As the lads say , sharp tools finely honed , a light touch , the right speed , ride the bevel and you will get the hang of it .
Pine for all its softness is a hard wood to turn to satisfaction , and that is why many turners pass it by .
So persevere and you will be a better woodturner for it .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts